Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Forum User

Ruger LCR 9mm or Ruger LCRX .38 spl?

My wife recently got a contract she has always wanted since the beginning of her Nursing career, she has to visits patients at their homes, I am located in Upper Michigan, she finally made up her mind concerning firearms and she would like to get a gun to protect herself from work haphazard. She's a fan of revolvers, I don't have much experience with them, shoot the Smith & Wesson 629 at the range few times, nice revolver. My question is which of the revolvers would better suit a woman for a carry pistol? Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    The 9mm is a few ounces heavier than the .38 model, because 9 is a bit more potent than .38.

Snubbies are not easy find to shoot and most women tend not to like them, but if she does the LCR is the best snubbie it there IMO.

I have a LCRx in .38 shipping out soon if you're interested. It's the standard LCR but with the exposed hammer.

Sister in law had a similar job earlier in her career and carried a S&W. 642 that last I knew she still prefers over 9mm semi’s.
    Going in to take grandmas B/P and check her health and finding the grandson and his posse smoking crack in the kitchen can be unnerving
    Be aware I have never heard of a home care nursing service that permits their employees to carry. You risk (will) loosing your job if you do. Tell her to keep it to herself if she does.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    If possible let her try out both before she decides. I would also suggest, keeping in the LCR line, the .327 Fed. being able to use lighter loads in might help her shooting confidence.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    You risk (will) loosing your job if you do. (carry a firearm)
    Tell her to keep it to herself if she does.

Never made sense to me..except maybe because employers may be liable if they allow their employees to carry.

Used to work with a RN whose husband was a probation officer.She told me her husband had the option to carry a firearm or not.
    He chose not to carry. He was kidnapped @ gunpoint, forced to drive to an atm & withdraw money, etc..by one of his parolees
    ( maybe it was by a parolees friend, family member, etc..not sure on who).. it was years ago I was told of the incident.
    The husband was not harmed (at least not seriously) but he was off work , dealing with mental issues for some time.
    Don't know if he actually ever returned to work for the parole dept.

I was more than a little surprised to hear that a parole officer would chose NOT to be armed.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    You risk (will) loosing your job if you do. (carry a firearm)
    Tell her to keep it to herself if she does.

Never made sense to me..except maybe because employers may be liable if they allow their employees to carry.

Used to work with a RN whose husband was a probation officer.She told me her husband had the option to carry a firearm or not.
    He chose not to carry. He was kidnapped @ gunpoint, forced to drive to an atm & withdraw money, etc..by one of his parolees
    ( maybe it was by a parolees friend, family member, etc..not sure on who).. it was years ago I was told of the incident.
    The husband was not harmed (at least not seriously) but he was off work , dealing with mental issues for some time.
    Don't know if he actually ever returned to work for the parole dept.

I was more than a little surprised to hear that a parole officer would chose NOT to be armed.

If you don't think you'd be able to kill, it's a responsible choice.

I like S&W 442 or 642 -- hammerless, 5 rounds, 38sp +p and 38sp bunny fart loads to practice. But that said, a JFrame or LCR is not the most fun gun to shoot. I personally only carry a snubby when it's pocket carry so I could shoot out of my pocket. If she's going to carry in her purse, well that is a major consideration. Shooting a semi-auto in that situation risks jams. She should try a 9mm Shield EZ or 380 Shield EZ -- also the new LCP MAX 9mm(10 rounds/11 oz). I personally carry a IWB LCP 380 Custom, only weighs a shade over 10oz fully loaded. Never even know it's there.

The semi's almost are all lighter than the snub revolver, more rounds and easier to shoot. It's lot more on what she is comfortable with, what she feels good about, what she will practice with. You can find 38sp loads that are lighter in recoil for practice, that might make all the difference. A 38sp +P (me it's 125gr Win Silver Tips) .. will do the job no problem, so don't think you can't get the job done with 38sp or 380acp.

I am a Forum User
    I can tell you from experience, the LCR9 is not pleasant to shoot, especially with hot ammo. I love mine for pocket carry, but none of the ladies (daughter, wife, nieces) wanted to shoot more than one round with 115gr range ammo.

I agree that 38spl is probably the way to go if she is set on a revolver.

MGO Member
    I recently picked up a Ruger SP101 in 9mm because i have always loved the idea of a 9mm snub nose. compared to my S&W 642, it is heavier but recoil is about the same between both when shooting defensive ammo. I would tend to believe that the LCR in 9mm is going to have more recoil than the .38spl. both the SP101 and LCR-9mm require moon clips too, which adds another layer of complexity for carry.

OP - if your SO is newer to guns in general, i would recommend you hold off on going this route for the time being. as others have said, these guns are not pleasant to shoot and i have seen them turn a lot of new shooters away from CC. or if your SO is dead set on a revo - a SP101, LCR357 or S&W model 60 would be a better option. they are chambered in .357 and you can shoot .38 spl through them. the added weight of the gun will help mitigate some of the recoil.

there are a lot of good options out there for sub-compact 9mms that might be a better way to go to get into CC. I have a glock 43 (with a flush mag) that is about he same size as my 642 and is way better to shoot at the range.

i think the shield plus, sig 365, glock 43/43x, or hellcat are all going to be options.

at the end of the day - your SO needs to have the confidence in their own skill and firearm to make a difficult shot. i'm not saying its impossible with a snub nose revo - its significantly more difficult than with a similar sized sub compact pistol.

involve your SO in the process, let them handle different guns and if you can, try before you buy. if you ever make it down to GR/Holland, you are more than welcome to try my S&W 642, SP101 in 9mm, and LCP

MGO Member
    I think I would choose the 9mm over the 38 because of the ammo choices and the 9mm is more powerful. On the other hand the 38 may be more versatile in that you can use heavier, slower bullets in it i.e, target wadcutters or Semi WCs to lessen recoil. I think a heavy slow moving bullet with little recoil is better for SD than a faster, more powerful lighter bullet with a lot of recoil.

On the other hand the new Ruger LCP Max, douible stack 380 is supposed to be easier to shoot than the regular LCP due to the added weight and grip length.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast