Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Safes and Moisture Control

What options are available to keep safe contents dry? Changing out a pile of desiccants sounds old school.

I am a Forum User
    Starting to see more and more reusable packs. Browning makes the Dry-zone pack that you toss into a 250* oven when it needs to be dried out, a few places like Stack-On and Liberty have their own reusable packs that you just plug into an outlet to dry them out.

I use a rod. It’s a 1” diameter 12” long quartz heater that stays on continuously, keeping a small amount of air movement going in the safe from the rising heat, and keeping internal safe temperatures a few degrees above ambient to prevent condensation. My safe was built with the ability to plug things in though. If yours isn’t, you’ll have to drill a hole.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Well, You can place a bag of silica desiccant inside the safe.

I also use a goldenrod dehumidifier in my safes. 1990's safe and one from a few years ago both have a port big enough for the cord, but not the plug. Cut the plug off and put on a stab type replacement plug. No further action or maintenance needed other than occasionally making sure the kids or Mrs haven't unpluged it.

I am a Forum User
    I’ve used a desiccant bag for years. You don’t throw out the good ones, you just bake them for a couple hours to dry them out. And I usually don’t have to do that more than once or twice a year

I use the "bake-able" bags. The idea of the Golden Rod type products never made any sense to me.

If you drill a hole into the safe for a plug.... how can it be fire proof and/or water proof????

And also... where does the moisture go??? With a bag you take it out. With a rod?????? If the safe is sealed the moisture stays in the safe.

Mark
    Last edited by MichiganShootist; 10-15-2021 at 03:47 PM.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    There are ‘rechargeable’ desiccant packs now too. You plug them in to dry out instead of throwing them in the oven and throw them back in to work.

There are Remington branded ones, but they look exactly like the Eva Dry ones- New and Improved Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD0FN8A...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist View Post
    I use the "bake-able" bags. The idea of the Golden Rod type products never made any sense to me.

If you drill a hole into the safe for a plug.... how can it be fire proof and/or water proof????

And also... where does the moisture go??? With a bag you take it out. With a rod?????? If the safe is sealed the moisture stays in the safe.

Mark
    I don't know, I'm a complete idiot and have had a Goldenrod ( lifetime warranty there's 2 types ) for years. My safe has 2 plugs inside ( I use one for the Goldenrod and the other for an LED light set I bought 5 years ago ) I've had it for years and never had any rust form on anything metal i've stored in there. Guns, knives, zippo lighters and other stuff that I value. what does it do with the moisture I don't know???? it works though so I'm happy!

MGO Board of Directors

I use both a rod at the bottom of my safe and a "rechargeable" desiccant packs on the top shelf. I only have to take it out and plug it in about 1x/year (if that). Never had any rust issues, so it works.

Put a glass in the freezer for a few minutes. Open the door and watch the condensation build on hit as soon as the warm air hits it.

Now, put a glass in the warm/hot oven for a few minutes. Open the door and let the cooler ambient air hit it….no condensation.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast