Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Best way to get shooting gear from vehicle to range

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I am wondering how others get their firearms ammo and all their shooting gear from their vehicle to the shooting bench at the range.

I haven't had to use a outdoor range in many years but due to unfortunate circumstance I will be needing to use the facilities either at Island Lake Shooting Range or the Pontiac Lake Shooting Range.

The problem I have is I will need to get all my gear from my vehicle to the actual shooting benches. When I get to the range I may have multiple rifles plus ammo and maybe a handgun or two along with ear protection and assorted targets and staple gun and possibly a shooting rest for sighting in a scope and if they allow I would like to bring out a chronograph with me.

I did a web search and either I'm not putting in the right description or it's not a subject discussed much.

I have been to both ranges in the past and if I recall the Island Lake Shooting Range has a long trail that leads from the parking lot to the shooting benches that's uphill most of the way to where the Pontiac Lake Shooting Range is fairly close to the parking area.

I thought of possibly getting a lightweight folding hand truck that I could use some bungee cords to wrap around the rifle cases. I even seen a tool box at Home Depot that has an extendable handle and thought it might be large enough for a few handguns, ammo and some of the other small items used at a range and then I could just carry the rifle cases with my free hand but it was fairly expensive.

I recall many years ago I seen this older gentleman at a range who was shooting muzzle loading rifles and he had everything he needed in this cart he had pulled up to the bench area.. He must have had four rifles and all the gear needed to shoot black powder in this thing. I got to talking with him about the cart, he explained that he built it himself to carry everything from his vehicle out to the shooting line. It was made out of wood and had four wheels like you would find on large wagon. He said that his black powder firearms took so much gear for an afternoon of shooting that he decided to build a cart similar in design to that of a child's wagon but only made of wood and with pneumatic tires. It had a long handle for pulling along just like a wagon but it was built in a way that the rifles in their cases were stood upright and slid down into a slot designed for them on the rear and in the front he made a storage box with drawers that he also used the top of as a loading station to keep the powder and other gear he needed out for easy access. It was made out of a mix of beautiful dark walnut and maple. If I remember he had a van and made ramps to load and unload the cart and he placed the cased rifles in their slots after rolling the cart out. I thought it was a really great piece of gear and his design would probably be perfect for what I need today but I am not able to build anything like that today.

If anyone has any ideas or come up with a solution to this problem and found a way please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

3 gun guys like to use the big 3 wheeled strollers and modify them to carry long guns and bags of gear. The big wheels roll over rough terrain, and they hold a lot of stuff.

MGO Member
    I have sort of a garden wagon (glorified kids wagon) the sides fold down for travel that I throw in the back of the truck for outdoor range trips. Going to indoor ranges, I usually carry a large shouldered duffle bag.

I am a Forum User
    You can buy gun carts, you can build gun carts. I just have anything I am taking to the range in bags.

My range bag is a decent size backpack and it always goes with, and it has ear and eye pro, targets, staplers, bug and sun spray, med kit, timer, extra batteries, and basic tools
    Gun bags get whatever guns and mags they need.
    Ammo bag gets what it's name implies.

By having everything in bags it is easy to carry a lot with very little effort.

MGO Member
    I go to Island Lake as well... I had the exact same issue! I bout one of these (maybe not from Dicks! but the same idea). I folds up nice in the car, and works great. Rifle cases are a little longer than it is, so depending one what you take, they hang over etc... but have never had an issue. There is a 'vertical' version of it as well. If. you go the Dicks's sporting goods website, and type in 'wagons' for search... you will see them all! https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ec?color=Black

Good luck! I am sure Amazon and others have the same!

I am a Forum User
    I have a old style of this cart:

https://www.rodrack.com/fishing-carts/

And I really like it, with the rod racks as they are you can manufacture all types of hooks and hangers to carry your gear, rifles, shooting bags, etc.

Got it over ten years ago at the outer banks and I was also able to get a receiver hitch to mount it behind the bumper so I can carry my cooler outside my vehicle for additional space but I do not see the receiver hitch rack available now.

It is expensive but I use it a lot, from working around the house, beach trips, picnics, moving, it is amazing how handy this little cart comes in. I also use it at camp perry for the bullseye pistol competitions.

Regards,
    CRankster

Stanley FatMax Rolling Tool Chest, holds pistols, all my ammo, range gear, etc.. Since I often take friends out shooting, often it's loaded to the max, with 4-5 pistol in cases, ammo, ears, mags, etc.. weighs in at about 50-75lbs loaded.

Name:  159fdd12-4705-4e17-a88b-c5269de42bbf_1.f599743d7eea76c3e4bb82f04f837ee8.jpeg
Views: 224
Size:  28.5 KB

I am a Forum User
    Thanks everyone. I see I'm not the only one who has had difficulty with getting all their gear from the car to the benches.

I had never thought about the kids stroller idea but it looks like it will work. I like the fold up cart from Dick's Sporting Goods it looks like it will hold a lot of gear.
    I had never considered using my backpack for stuff like targets, ear protection and all the other small assorted gear you take along for a day at the range. I think I'll give the backpack idea a try first and just carry out one rifle in it's case to see how that works for me.

Does anyone have an opinion on which range is better, Island Lake Shooting Range or Pontiac Lake Shooting Range.
    I have been to both ranges but it was years ago. I remember that a buddy and I had visited Island Lake back in the 90's this is how I remember that long uphill walk from the parking lot. I just found out that the range is privately owned, I thought it was run by the state. Now I'm curious about Pontiac, is it run by the DNR or is it privately owned?

MGO Member
    I have never been to Pontiac... but go to Island Lake. Yes, long uphill walk from range to lot! But, it is run privately, but I believe is still DNR 'owned' I like the range, no rapid fire, and every 20-30 min stops for target checks. As long as you know and expect that, and are ok with it... no issues! Some don't like it.

Used something like this at the last metal shoot BWSA held, worked out great.
    Four rifles, spotting scopes and tripods and chairs.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Sports-Co...0623845&sr=8-2
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast