Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: CPL question

I am a Forum User

CPL question

I had a CPL issued to me in Oakland county in 2018 when I lived in Farmington hills.

I just moved to Webberville *Livingston county this year and want to buy a pistol.

My Normal ID I changed to my new address already.

My CPL doesn't expire till 2023

Can I buy my pistol before I change my CPL county?

Do I just take the paper work to Oakland county sheriff?

Thanks MGO

MGO Member
    There is no need to change CPL county. Mail purchase docs to the cop shop where you live, not the one where you used to live.

MGO Member
    The only reason to notify the county of an address change is to get your renewal letter.

I am a Forum User
    Ok awesome so I just write my current address on the form with the Livingston county address.
    Then my CPL number even thoe it says Oakland county on my CPL
    Then turn it into the Livingston county sheriff and all good to go?

Quote Originally Posted by shifty_85 View Post
    Ok awesome so I just write my current address on the form with the Livingston county address.
    Then my CPL number even thoe it says Oakland county on my CPL
    Then turn it into the Livingston county sheriff and all good to go?
    On the RI-060? Yes, that's it. Remember it's a State CPL not a county CPL.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWabbit View Post
    Remember it's a State CPL not a county CPL.
    That fact is somewhat misleading.

Yes, your CPL and your DL are both state issued. But while you aren't required by law to notify the county (for your CPL) when you move, you are required to update your address with the Secretary of State for your DL.

Sure, both are still valid if you move within the state (even if you don't update your address on your DL), but being "state issued" licenses doesn't mean the same requirements apply to both.

Remember, too, that you're required to carry your MI issued DL or ID if carrying concealed under your CPL.

MGO Member
    >> required to carry your MI issued DL or ID if carrying concealed under your CPL.

Then I might have occasionally done it wrong... I assumed™ that the CPL counted as a "MI issued identiciation document", seeing how it's got my picture & all... and these days, it actually IS my drivers license picture.

So: The CPL is not enough?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    >> required to carry your MI issued DL or ID if carrying concealed under your CPL.

Then I might have occasionally done it wrong... I assumed™ that the CPL counted as a "MI issued identiciation document", seeing how it's got my picture & all... and these days, it actually IS my drivers license picture.

So: The CPL is not enough?
    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425f

(1) An individual who is licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol and his or her state-issued driver license or personal identification card in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology.
    (2) An individual who is licensed to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:
    (a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.
    (b) His or her state-issued driver license or personal identification card.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Wow thanks for the info. I always have both in my wallet but didn't know it was required.