Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    For a range gun out 300-400 yards I’d go with something in .22 cal.

I am a Forum User
    22-250

I am a Forum User
    Thanks everyone,

I seen that Ruger has their American Hunter in 6.5 Creedmore with a 22 inch barrel with a muzzle brake. I'm wondering how much the muzzle brake will add to recoil reduction in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I was thinking that anything in .223 would be acceptable and even looked up a few rifles in 224 and 204 Ruger. But I read a few articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor round and it's benefits and thought it might be a round I could easily purchase new and then using the brass work up my own loads.

I currently have a Ruger 10/22 that I built up for bench shooting so I have the .22 caliber end covered. What has really caught my eye is the Vudoo .22LR Bolt Action line of rifles but I just can't see myself paying so much for a .22 lr rifle even though from all I've read and the videos I seen it looks to be the very best of the best in the class.

My son has a .204 ruger m77, for coyotes. Out to 500m it's great. Recoil is minimal but more wind sensitive than 223. that would be a good choice. My only complaint is it doesn't make too much of a tink at 500m on a steel plate!

I am a Forum User
    A 6.5 with vs without a Break does have a noticable difference plus with the right Break I find it decreases the barrel climb up and to the left caused by the right handed twist of the barrel.
    It's a great caliber but others have mentioned less violent shooters.
    Love your desire to keep shooting!

I am a Forum User
    400 max? 223 and be done. 8 twist barrel minimum.

I am a Forum User
    heavy gun and a brake, imo. I made a brake for my AR, and the gun kicks like a 22LR now.

What has really caught my eye is the Vudoo .22LR Bolt Action line of rifles but I just can't see myself paying so much for a .22 lr rifle even though from all I've read and the videos I seen it looks to be the very best of the best in the class.

Expensive true, but you will never be sorry once you shoot it. Extremely accurate and the quality of parts and build are second to none.

One other rd you might be interested in I haven’t seen mentioned is the 6 PCR. Both rifles and ammo are available although hand loading is the way to go here. It’s another long range, extremely accurate low recoil cartridge that is new to the market and getting excellent reviews
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangulator View Post
    Thanks everyone,

I seen that Ruger has their American Hunter in 6.5 Creedmore with a 22 inch barrel with a muzzle brake. I'm wondering how much the muzzle brake will add to recoil reduction in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I was thinking that anything in .223 would be acceptable and even looked up a few rifles in 224 and 204 Ruger. But I read a few articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor round and it's benefits and thought it might be a round I could easily purchase new and then using the brass work up my own loads.

I currently have a Ruger 10/22 that I built up for bench shooting so I have the .22 caliber end covered. What has really caught my eye is the Vudoo .22LR Bolt Action line of rifles but I just can't see myself paying so much for a .22 lr rifle even though from all I've read and the videos I seen it looks to be the very best of the best in the class.
    .22 caliber not rimfire.

Personally I’m not a fan of brakes. A sporter weight 6.5 Creedmoor without a brake especially if shooting the heavier 140 grain class bullets has a little bit more recoil than what some expect. Given your shoulder issues if at all possible I’d try to do some shooting with one in a similar weight rifle before buying.

Yet another vote for .243
    NRA Life Member + RSO
    OCSC Member (full)
    HGC Member (associate)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12