Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

bore inspection, potential chamber failure

Looking for a place to more or less confirm what I'm seeing with my bore scope, whether its through dye testing, or magnetic particle testing, or something else entirely.

inside shots of the chamber look like there's some stress fracturing:

Looks like a carbon deposit at the case mouth point of the chamber.

Then too, I’m not a gunsmith nor metalurgy engineer
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Marketplace Moderator
    Is this a hammer forged barrel? It could be the structural change that occurs during the forging process? Just a thought. Good Shooting, MOOSE

MGO Member
    I shined light on it from both sides, was able to see the fracture/cracking from another angle. carbon steel barrel, to answer the above.

Also took it to a local gunsmith who confirmed that it needs to be sent back to tikka after inspecting the chamber.

I am a Forum User
    The photos aren’t detailed enough for me to even guess your concerns. If the images are revealing some internal surface flaws and you suspect such flaws may penetrate or compromise the barrel wall then one of the nondestructive testing methods will help. I’m curious is this barrel a rifle and if so is it cut rifled, button or hammer forged ? Is the area of concern near the chamber or muzzle or what ?

Anyway if you suspect a flaw or anomaly in the barrel wall then I would suggest finding a testing lab and a well lubricated check book. Testing methods like mag particle could very well work provided the barrel alloy’s magnetic or flux density is sufficient to result in accurate readings. UT or ultrasonics would be a better bet for internal flaws. Dye penetrants would be my last choice considering limited visual access internally. And radiology/X-ray always performs on pressure tubes. However if the flaw is on internal surfaces or surface profile only then testing labs most likely can’t help. For this kind of problem you need very specialized surface irregularity equipment. I spent thirty-five years as a ASNDT Level II UT, Mag Particle, Eddy Current and Dye Penetrant inspector but never did a barrel. Good luck

I am a Forum User
    We’ll talk about poor response timing mine is a perfect example of posting while the OP is answering. With these new images it’s pretty apparent that if these are fractures, inclusions or what, and appear to extend through the barrel wall. So the easiest test would be dye penetrant then ultrasonic or mag particle since it appears exterior and interior test access is doable. Frankly your images reveal enough info that expensive testing may not be necessary but that could depend on the factory’s attitude. If you get a response something like ‘ there is nothing wrong or no fractures ‘ from the customer service people then perhaps you need professional verification. Consider that raw material entering the machining evolution for barrels or receivers are not always defect free and often only the end user comes to discover such things. It’s rare but it happens all the time. Therefore if testing is anticipated I would suggest scanning the entire barrel since material flaws have a way of residing where your eyes can’t go. Good luck

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    We’ll talk about poor response timing mine is a perfect example of posting while the OP is answering. With these new images it’s pretty apparent that if these are fractures, inclusions or what, and appear to extend through the barrel wall. So the easiest test would be dye penetrant then ultrasonic or mag particle since it appears exterior and interior test access is doable. Frankly your images reveal enough info that expensive testing may not be necessary but that could depend on the factory’s attitude. If you get a response something like ‘ there is nothing wrong or no fractures ‘ from the customer service people then perhaps you need professional verification. Consider that raw material entering the machining evolution for barrels or receivers are not always defect free and often only the end user comes to discover such things. It’s rare but it happens all the time. Therefore if testing is anticipated I would suggest scanning the entire barrel since material flaws have a way of residing where your eyes can’t go. Good luck
    Thank you for both responses. I appreciate the feedback. Is there a particular method of dye testing you recommend?

MGO Member
    "When in Doubt ship it Out"! Ship it back to the mother ship, give them a call and tell them the problem and I'm sure they'll pick up the shipping cost.

MGO Member
    overdue update but worth mentioning, got ahold of Beretta repair center today after shipping my rifle out back in september, they said it is due to be destroyed, and I will be contacted shortly by beretta for a replacement.

MGO Member
    What caliber? If you don't mind. Hand loaded or factory rounds? Approximate round count? Tikka owners may want to know.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast