Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Melted Foam Off a Muzzle Device

Foam.jpg

guess my comp was too hot for my carrying case...

any idea how to get melted foam off a linear comp? B’Laster failed me. my other idea, since I’ve unscrewed it anyway, is to hit it with a few blasts from the weed burner and just burn all the foam off. Is that a terrible idea and/or are there any better ways to do it?

Marketplace Moderator
    I would try to carefully scrape it off with a sharp plastic tool. The coating may make it easier to scrape. Or.... remove it and soak it in MEK. Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Should cut right through the plastic.
    Good Luck, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    May have better results with getting the metal warm (blow drier, or shoot it until barrel warms) then wiping melted residue off with a dry cloth/ rag
    I have too much experience doing this, always find a away to melt my shoe against a m/c exhaust pipe.
    You can also use a piece of wadded aluminum foil..hold this while wiping with a rag, as the aluminum foil gets warm fast, when barrel is hot.
    Aluminum foil won't scratch the finish of the muzzle..(either will a cloth)
    Good luck in your efforts.

Or go with the other temperature extreme... try tossing the comp in the freezer (or on a bit of dry ice) to get cold, then see if the foam peels of more easily.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Might have some luck with Goof Off

Freezing it and a wire brush took the fuzz off, the melted stuff didn't come off however. I'll try Goo Gone.

Just shoot a few mags and get it hot again, should wipe right off.
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    Any reason carb cleaner won't work?

I had the same thing happen to me. I thought I was going to be in for a mess of a clean up, especially since the stuff was almost liquified on there. To my surprise, it peeled right off with some persuasion from a soft plastic tool. No discoloration left on the finish either. I think the nylon got so hot it completely liquified and became brittle when it cooled, making it easy to come off.

I am a Forum User
    Try using Easy Off oven cleaner after getting it hot. That is what I use to get melted plastics and rubber off my motorcycle exhaust pipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast