Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Federal legal AR pistol question

A long while back I thought I had this figured out but posting now to see if things have changed.

I have an AR pistol that has a fixed brace and has a less than 16" barrel but the over-all length is longer than 26" (as configured at the moment). (it isn't a grandfathered gun)

So I presume I am legal under Federal regulations but not legal as a pistol under Michigan regulations.

So my question is: What do I have under Michigan law and am I legal to own it in Michigan as configured.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Thanks, that confirms what I had found before.

According to the chart it is a "firearm", what exactly does the term "firearm" mean as far as legality, usage, and transport under Michigan law?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post

According to the chart it is a "firearm", what exactly does the term "firearm" mean as far as legality, usage, and transport under Michigan law?
    It should be treated like a long gun.

MGO Member

So, measured from the end of the threaded barrel minus the muzzle device, to the end of buffer tube itself without the brace? What is the overall length, measured in a straight line?
    Last edited by hendo; 09-19-2021 at 01:58 PM.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    So, measured from the end of the threaded barrel minus the muzzle device, to the end of buffer tube itself without the brace? What is the overall length, measured in a straight line?
    That way it is under 26" but I'm not chancing that way of measuring as there doesn't seem to be (current) definitive Michigan directive on how to measure.

If it was my only AR pistol I might think differently but I have another under 26" AR that needs nothing removed to meet the under 26" rule.

My question here was mainly on how to carry, use, and transport my over 26" AR pistol. I will just treat it like a rifle and move on.
    Last edited by slingshot77; 09-19-2021 at 03:39 PM.

That way it is under 26" but I'm not chancing that way of measuring as there doesn't seem to be (current) definitive Michigan directive on how to measure.

If it was my only AR pistol I might think differently but I have another under 26" AR that needs nothing removed to meet the under 26" rule.

My question here was mainly on how to carry, use, and transport my over 26" AR pistol. I will just treat it like a rifle and move on.
    As far as carry, transporting, treating it like a rifle would be the safe thing to do. Federal standard on measuring does not include the muzzle device unless it is pinned/welded, and measures along the barrel axis, so you still have a pistol.
    Would you screw on a long muzzle device, and sell your other AR pistol as a long gun?
    Last edited by JDG; 09-20-2021 at 05:41 AM.
    Active airport shooter