Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

sling stud unscrews from wood stock

The rear sling stud on my sporterized Swede unscrews from the stock due to the sling being put on and off my shoulder during a day of hunting .
    I'd like to stop this.
    Is putting a little bit of glue on the stud screw threads and then screwing it into the wood the right fix or will glue cause a bigger problem later on?
    I have Elmers's carpenters wood glue max, Loctite super glue, original Gorilla glue, and heavy duty GorillaWeld 2-part adhesive that I could use.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    IMG_5975.jpg

A bit of Glassbed or other epoxy carefully applied may solve your problem.

I doubt wood glue will do much for you. De-grease the screw thoroughly, apply epoxy liberally, protect around the hole with painter's tape, remove excess quickly. Let it set 48 hours before attaching the sling.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Is this a recent development?
    Is the stud loose?
    I don't think glue is likely to help on it's own.
    If it used to be fine but now is loose the following should help -

You can tighten up the threads in the wood (if it's loose) by adding wood in the hole.
    A common "hack" in woodworking etc is to take wood tooth picks, insert into the hole and break off at the surface a few times.
    You could add type II wood glue to bond the wood together but it's not going to bond to the stud worth a darn.
    Thread the stud back in tight while the glue is still wet and a loose hole will be tight again.

Saw dust and JB Weld will do the trick. As Rifle said some tape surrounding hole and use small amount with a toothpick to get it in the hole.

I am a Forum User
    I just fixed a similar problem by drilling out the hole and gluing in a piece of dowel rod.

MGO Member
    A blind hole should have the adhesive put in the hole and not on the treads going into it.

Or, class it up a bit and go with a classic 2-screw swivel mount. Requires some inletting for the mount, but looks awesome, and will not work loose over the years.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by juicemon View Post
    I just fixed a similar problem by drilling out the hole and gluing in a piece of dowel rod.
    I believe this is the way most stock workers would repair your loose swivel. Run a pilot hole in the dowel before screwing the swivel back in.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray