Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Trying to determine value of several guns

Hi everyone. I am looking to sell a few inherited guns that I have had for years and was hoping to get some idea of pricing. Here is the info and estimated pricing based on recent sales from the True Gun Value website. All are well taken care of, and in very good condition – no rust or pitting and finish still mostly great. They do have some minor wear from hunting use (such as finish wear near the muzzle, loading port, trigger guard, etc.).

Browning Micro Medallion A-bolt .243, year 1990, with Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x40 scope
    $1100 - 1500

Remington Wingmaster Model 870 20 Guage, 2 3/4" shells, pump action, year probably 1969
    $765-1175

Weatherby Vanguard .243 Win, bolt action, year 1970-1984, with ScopeChief IV Wide Angle scope
    $800-900

Mossberg 500A Pump action 12 gauge, 2 3/4" or 3" shells, year 1990, includes 4 chokes
    $275-320

Harrison and Richardson, Model 676 revolver, .22 cal, year 1979, finish on frame has tarnishing or rubbing off of bluing (no rust) and it looks like it is common for this model to have such tarnish on the frame
    $350-675

Smith and Wesson, Model 586, .357 Magnum revolver, year probably 1982
    $830-1000

Winchester Model 67 bolt action single shot rifle, .22 Short-Long-Long Rifle, year 1934 or 1935
    $150-325

Do these prices seem reasonable, and where in the range would you price them? If the prices are not reasonable, what would you estimate their value to be? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dante314 View Post
    Hi everyone. I am looking to sell a few inherited guns that I have had for years and was hoping to get some idea of pricing. Here is the info and estimated pricing based on recent sales from the True Gun Value website. All are well taken care of, and in very good condition – no rust or pitting and finish still mostly great. They do have some minor wear from hunting use (such as finish wear near the muzzle, loading port, trigger guard, etc.).

Browning Micro Medallion A-bolt .243, year 1990, with Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x40 scope
    $1100 - 1500

Seems high. The market for bolt action hunting guns has changed and consumer expectations are different from 10-20 years ago, so more traditional rifles seem not to sell so well. Older optics generally add zero value, or even detract. I'd put this at $700 in the current market.

Remington Wingmaster Model 870 20 Guage, 2 3/4" shells, pump action, year probably 1969
    $765-1175

$500-700 if in truly great shape.

Weatherby Vanguard .243 Win, bolt action, year 1970-1984, with ScopeChief IV Wide Angle scope
    $800-900

Probably $600-700.

Mossberg 500A Pump action 12 gauge, 2 3/4" or 3" shells, year 1990, includes 4 chokes
    $275-320

This is probably correct.

Harrison and Richardson, Model 676 revolver, .22 cal, year 1979, finish on frame has tarnishing or rubbing off of bluing (no rust) and it looks like it is common for this model to have such tarnish on the frame
    $350-675

The low end of your range, and then it is not going to be flying off the shelf. A collector piece focusing on a small market. It isn't an S&W kit gun.

Smith and Wesson, Model 586, .357 Magnum revolver, year probably 1982
    $830-1000

Probably a reasonable range for one in really good shape.

Winchester Model 67 bolt action single shot rifle, .22 Short-Long-Long Rifle, year 1934 or 1935
    $150-325

To the right buyer, the higher end of the range is reasonable. Again, not a product that is in particularly high demand these days.

Do these prices seem reasonable, and where in the range would you price them? If the prices are not reasonable, what would you estimate their value to be? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
    Responses in bold.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you, Corsten!

I pretty much agree with the posted values by Corsten but I've found - when a gun is a collectable - unless it's very rare or great demand (think snake guns) -- the condition is the driving factor. A lesser desired gun in perfect condition will usually sell reasonably quick for a good price, but lesser condition and other issues can make almost un-sellable except for rock bottom prices in my experience.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the confirmation, Mkc451. They are all in very good condition, we always took good care of them. Some are in perfect condition, and some have been used for hunting, so hopefully the occasional slight wear in finishe due to use (like around the muzzle or where fingers touch frequently) doesn't put the condition down too much.

I just bought a Mossberg 500a, w/2 barrels, scope, ammo and a case for $200, to give you a reference on that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks, AxlMyk, for the info. Sounds like you got an awesome deal, plus you got all the extras!