Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Problems with Remington 870 jamming

Hello I bought a Remington 870 Tactical Blackhawk!, black with pistol grip, which I hoped would be my ideal gun for home defense, about 5 years ago, new, for about $450. Since then, when it fires I love it, is very accurate and fun to shoot. But, it jams, a lot. It can always be unjammed but this is not reliable for home defense. I've had it repaired twice at two different gun shops, not sure what either did, parts were replaced, but no difference detected. Also had a few friends who know at least a bit about guns check it out and they all say there's something wrong, should be able to be fixed but they don't know enough to do it. Basically, it can be fired maybe up to 3 times max, sometimes only once, then it jams and requires stuff I can't even do to unjam it, total PITA I'm ready to be done with.

I need a good basic shotgun, thought this would be it. Any tips, either for fixing this gun so it will reliably fire or recommendations for another better basic black pistol grip shotgun? I had an Ithaca about 15 years that I loved, never once jammed, also black pistol grip, but it was stolen and now Ithacas are much more expensive than when I bought mine, more than I want to spend on a shotgun now.

What kind of jam, not feeding, not chambering, not ejecting, 870 double feed jam caused by not fully & briskly working the slide? Pics help.

MGO Member
    870's are usually extremely reliable. I had a buddy with a similar issue with his 870 and even after a complete disassembly of the trigger group I couldn't find the problem so we just replaced the entire trigger group and the problem went away. I would suggest doing the same. They're not that expensive and at least you'll have a working gun at that point.

Call The FACTORY

Contact Remington for the best solution.
    or
    Talk with the person where you purchased it, if a store.

Want it to run at top speed contact one of the Clubs that hold shooting events. USPSA, 3-Gun, SASS - Cowboy Action events
    they may have resorces in your area to direct you to a shop or person who can correct the issue.

The Factory would be the First Choice! you need a complete disscripition of the problems encountered. How did you correct it. Type of ammunition used.

a 870 can run fast when tuned for reliability. But that also depends on the shooter's experience and training.

Good Hunting and Fast and Shooting -
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

Quote Originally Posted by zcolt45 View Post
    Contact Remington for the best solution.
    or
    Talk with the person where you purchased it, if a store.

Want it to run at top speed contact one of the Clubs that hold shooting events. USPSA, 3-Gun, SASS - Cowboy Action events
    they may have resorces in your area to direct you to a shop or person who can correct the issue.

The Factory would be the First Choice! you need a complete disscripition of the problems encountered. How did you correct it. Type of ammunition used.

a 870 can run fast when tuned for reliability. But that also depends on the shooter's experience and training.

Good Hunting and Fast and Shooting -

I don’t believe the present owner of Remington is honoring the old companies warranty, but could be wrong.

I would take it to a good gunsmith if you are not personally able to diagnose and repair it yourself. There are old Remington repair shops scattered around the state that would be a good place to start. Both Williams gun sight and Dick Williams were Rem warranty shops at one time that I know of.
    As noted by a earlier poster the old M 870 is an extremely reliable firearm and should not be too hard to fix
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    If you get a new complete trigger group you won't need a gunsmith. Pop out the 2 cross pins holding it in the receiver with a small punch and slide the old trigger group out the bottom. Put the new one in and put the pins back in. It's that easy.

It can always be unjammed
    FIRST, Identify the problem correctly.

Since your located in Lake County. The Internet has many options to correct the issues LINK: You will have to modify the search for your issues.

(if you are a mechanical minded person - a lttle sanding and polishing may correct an issue or damage it, creating other problems)

Are Remington shotguns still being made?
    Having secured a federal license to manufacture guns, the US Roundhill Group, which had purchased the Remington brand a few months ago,
    has announced that firearms production will resume at the historic plant in Ilion.Feb 10, 2021

A NEW HOPE: Remington 870 Shotguns Begin Production March 1st 2021

New Name - RemArms LLC. - Link:

How big of an investment are you willing to make to correct the problem? Trial and error can get expensive.
    Last edited by zcolt45; 10-07-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

MGO Member
    Find a friend with an 870, and swap out their trigger group and try that. If the jamming stops, that was the problem.

I'm with zcolt45 on identifying the issue before trying to randomly trying fixes. The OP hasn't been back on yet to say what the exact issue is.

As a side note I bought one of the brand new made in 2021 Remington 870 express shotguns from Jay's back in August. It has MIM parts and a plastic trigger guard like the one I got for the kids 4-5 years ago, but was actually machined and finished nicer than My other 870 express shotguns going back at least 30 years.

Clean, Lube and Shoot. Internal cleaning should work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast