Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a Forum User

The 870 has a couple quirks. Never rack the slide forward hard with the barrel and especially the trigger guard removed or you can damage the shell latches. The other is a short stroke double feed jam which on some guns will lock the gun up with a shell in the lifter and a fired shell still on the bolt face. Usually you can clear it by pulling back hard, but it can lock up so solid that you can't push the slide forward and can't pull it back far enough to eject the shell. I've had that happen once back in my early teens goose hunting. Buddies dad said not to anticipate the slide stopping and let it bottom out forward and back. I popped the trigger guard out to clear that one.

Another issue that acts similar is a weak extractor spring, worn/mis-shaped extractor or a bent ejector. Same result, a spent case and an unfired case in the action. The rim will usually be ahead of the extractor if its the extractor, but likely will still be held captive by the extractor if the ejector is bent.

If the shell latches are bent it may try to feed two shells at once and jam up the action.

Sometimes a gun isn't a good fit for someone. I've sent several pistols, and rifles down the road that for some reason I could not shoot well with. It was me, not the gun as others could shoot them fine. I really liked an import sharps 54 percussion rifle and tried for years to hit reliably with it but to no avail. My buddy could sometimes clover leaf shots with it, and I was having trouble keeping it on the target. I have two identical 1100's. One I hit better with. Father in-law gave me a jamming mossberg 500 410 that he was sick of. Had it in to get worked on numerous times and it still jammed for him so he gave it to me. Our kids used it and not a jam yet out in the field. It will fail to eject if short stroked or the slide is worked slowly.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    The other is a short stroke double feed jam which on some guns will lock the gun up with a shell in the lifter and a fired shell still on the bolt face. Usually you can clear it by pulling back hard, but it can lock up so solid that you can't push the slide forward and can't pull it back far enough to eject the shell. I've had that happen once back in my early teens goose hunting. Buddies dad said not to anticipate the slide stopping and let it bottom out forward and back. I popped the trigger guard out to clear that one.
    They make an updated carrier for this so the jam can be cleared. It has a small relief cut in it. If the carrier is solid then you can replace it with the updated piece. Doesn't keep it from double feeding but it makes it possible to clear the malfunction without disassembly.

I am a Forum User
    Three pages and still not even a remotely vague description of what's happening.

Walk us through the operation and what happens, such as:

Magazine tube is loaded with shells, chamber is open and an additional shell is loaded by pushing the action forward. Safety is off, trigger is pulled, and then what?

Does the action lock up in the forward position where a shell won't eject without excessive force? Or when the action is pushed back the shell is stuck or lodged somewhere? When loading a shell when racking the shotgun, does the unfired shell get stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    They make an updated carrier for this so the jam can be cleared. It has a small relief cut in it. If the carrier is solid then you can replace it with the updated piece. Doesn't keep it from double feeding but it makes it possible to clear the malfunction without disassembly.
    The ones I have now all have the flexitab carrier, and bolt and slide plate clearance cuts. For giggles last night I tried in two 12ga and a 20ga all with the flexitab features and none would lock up solid like the old ones would. If her 870 was made sometime after the early 80's then it has the upgraded parts.

It (WAS) Listed For Sale here (Link Removed)

showthread.php?470998-Remington-870-Tactical-black-with-pistol-grip-Used-Lake-County-200-OBO-Open-to-Trades"
    Removed: gone --
    Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator. If you have just attempted to post an ad with a hyperlink in the Marketplace, you cannot do so until you have a minimum of 10 posts.
    Last edited by zcolt45; 10-11-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Link Removed - Note above Fixed!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Three pages and still not even a remotely vague description of what's happening.

Walk us through the operation and what happens, such as:

Magazine tube is loaded with shells, chamber is open and an additional shell is loaded by pushing the action forward. Safety is off, trigger is pulled, and then what?

Does the action lock up in the forward position where a shell won't eject without excessive force? Or when the action is pushed back the shell is stuck or lodged somewhere? When loading a shell when racking the shotgun, does the unfired shell get stuck?
    Sorry would answer these questions but I do not understand most of what you are asking. Not trying to hide information, simply do not know or understand.

But, the gun is now fixed! I advertised it for sale, someone asked for more pics, told me to press a button on the trigger guard and see if the pump would then move, it did, a shell was ejected, gun is no longer jammed and I just fired it about 10 times with no issues, except for having to again use that trigger guard button to eject shells. It's no longer for sale and I love it again.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Contact JD at Aip tactical. He is a certified Remington armorer. 231-690-0954

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123