Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Gunsmith in SE MI for 1911 sight replacement

Bought a new 1911 and I don't like the sights it came with so I was hoping to find a competent gunsmith in or near Warren.

The gun is a new BUL Armory 1911 Commander in 9mm. I know that there are a few different dovetail cuts that manufactures use so I contacted BUL directly about the sight dimensions and they were very helpful and quickly emailed a detailed diagram and told me (based on the serial#) which cut I had.

I've owned guns for over 40 years but have never needed the services of a gunsmith so any recommendations and/or things to look out for or ask would be appreciated.
    I really don't want to send the gun or slide out with the state of cartage right now so any local suggestions?

Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    Doug Jones does excellent work.

248-852-6490
    2271 Star Ct
    Rochester Hills, MI 4830

I am a Forum User
    Marianne Carniak

"the Customizer"

Troy Michigan

http://www dot carniakcustom dot com/

(24 528-1552

I am a Forum User
    here is a more practical suggestion.. No doubt marianne and Doug are top notch gunsmiths but the waiting time might be overwhelming.

Since you called bull armory and they gave you cut specs, check dawson precision website for the 1911 sights and order the sights of your liking with cut specs given to you. Make sure to buy the sights as a pair with the dawson precision guarantee.

Call Moe at Double action and visit him at the store. He can install the sights while you wait. you can even rent a lane while there and fire test for point of impact. if the poi is high or low, measure the diff, use the dawson sight online calculator and call dawson for the recommended front sight height and they will send you one for free. Have Moe install it for you and all can be done in a week's time period from when you order the sights your self.

Moe's number:734-678-4904

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    here is a more practical suggestion.. No doubt marianne and Doug are top notch gunsmiths but the waiting time might be overwhelming.

Since you called bull armory and they gave you cut specs, check dawson precision website for the 1911 sights and order the sights of your liking with cut specs given to you. Make sure to buy the sights as a pair with the dawson precision guarantee.

Call Moe at Double action and visit him at the store. He can install the sights while you wait. you can even rent a lane while there and fire test for point of impact. if the poi is high or low, measure the diff, use the dawson sight online calculator and call dawson for the recommended front sight height and they will send you one for free. Have Moe install it for you and all can be done in a week's time period from when you order the sights your self.

Moe's number:734-678-4904
    I think I'll go this route and try out Dawson Precision first. I'll need the sights regardless.
    It's been ages since I went to Double Action, I stopped going there because of very poor service (back in the 90s), Since you are recommending them now can I assume they are customer friendly again?

Regardless, thanks for the suggestions as they are very helpful and straight forward.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dbogdan View Post
    I think I'll go this route and try out Dawson Precision first. I'll need the sights regardless.
    It's been ages since I went to Double Action, I stopped going there because of very poor service (back in the 90s), Since you are recommending them now can I assume they are customer friendly again?

Regardless, thanks for the suggestions as they are very helpful and straight forward.
    with full disclosure, I used to give Moe my guns to work on them when he had his shop in westland. After he sold his business he started working at different locations, but it seems that most of the time he is ay Double Action.. I have been there once and the place looked clean and inviting. I did not shoot there I just had my sights installed and bought couple of cleaning items while waiting and the service was friendly and ok..

Another vote for Moe & also Double Action.
    Moe's work has been flawless & timely.
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by camr View Post
    Doug Jones does excellent work.

248-852-6490
    2271 Star Ct
    Rochester Hills, MI 4830
    Doug just did some work on my Hi-Power for me, timely and reasonable cost. Altho Ive yet to take it and shoot it, to check functionality.

I am a Forum User
    Noting against the other 'smiths mentioned, but I've had a lot of work done by Doug Jones.. barrel fitting, trigger work, machining a slide, front strap checkering. etc..
    as well as problem solving on rifles, pistols, & shotguns. He does good work, reasonably quickly, & always at a fair price. I've recommended him to others, as I want him to
    stay in business. Doug Jr. has been working (& learning) with his Dad in the shop, & it's my hope he carries on the tradition fo great work @ a good price.
    Several friends have taken firearms to him for repair @ my suggestion, & all were pleased with his work as well.

I am a Forum User
    need to find a place to put a nice grind to fit recoil pad on my dad's old shotgun (not worth much, but sentiment). also need to drift and maybe handfit a new rear sight on one of my 1911s. damn thing is way too loose in the dovetail. was like it when i got it, and the grub screw just doesn't hold it solid for long. sad, because they are expensive trijicons, but i can't take it anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast