Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engraving

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    Technically I doubt anyone would do the work unless they were licensed with an FFL license of some sorts. They open themselves a not so friendly visit by ATF.
    Not only that, but the BATFE suggests "... that the owner obtain permission from ATF for the transfer by submitting an ATF Form 5, Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm, to the NFA Branch and receive approval prior to the delivery. The gunsmith should do the same prior to returning the firearm."

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tom S. again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Not only that, but the BATFE suggests "... that the owner obtain permission from ATF for the transfer by submitting an ATF Form 5, Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm, to the NFA Branch and receive approval prior to the delivery. The gunsmith should do the same prior to returning the firearm."
    So now we do what AFT suggests? There’s no legal reason a repair letter won’t suffice, but if AFT “suggests” you formally and legally transfer your NFA item to an FFL for repair, we just do that now? No regards as to what happens if the FFL for whatever reason doesn’t transfer it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    So now we do what AFT suggests? There’s no legal reason a repair letter won’t suffice, but if AFT “suggests” you formally and legally transfer your NFA item to an FFL for repair, we just do that now? No regards as to what happens if the FFL for whatever reason doesn’t transfer it back?
    I do not recommend poking a bear unless you have a surefire method of killing it should it attack. I hold the same philosophy when it comes to ignoring ATF. Like bears, they don't have to be right to make your life miserable.
    Lighten up Francis.

I do not recommend poking a bear unless you have a surefire method of killing it should it attack. I hold the same philosophy when it comes to ignoring ATF. Like bears, they don't have to be right to make your life miserable.
    Well then you go ahead and transfer your machine guns to the FFL to have work done. I’ll continue sending mine with repair letters.

MGO Member
    I would never transfer a MG to have repair work done. Not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Well then you go ahead and transfer your machine guns to the FFL to have work done. I’ll continue sending mine with repair letters.
    I don't have any machine guns - yet...
    Lighten up Francis.

I don't have any machine guns - yet...
    Well I hope you have some soon! I started with a very ratty sendra M16 that a friend sold me at a very good price.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by december1979 View Post
    https://us.dremel.com/en_US/accessor...3/rotary/27383

If you can built it yourself why not engrave it yourself.
    Exactly what I did. Not sure why anyone is going to charge $100 to etch a few lines..

I just used Gerbrand Defense to laser engrave a 10/22 ruger for a form 1. it was $50 and they were able to do it in about ten minutes. I wish the price was a little less but there is not alot of engravers to choose from. I also did my fingerprints and passport photos for the form 1 for $25 while I was there. They have some of the cheapest transfer fees in metro detroit area, $20 for a normal transfer and $5 for each firearm during the same visit.

I am a Forum User
    I use Phil at Veritas Machining : https://www.veritasmachiningllc.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12