Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Cant give you figures but i believe the Hi Power has been issued to more military and police units around the world than the 1911, truly combat proven in its own right.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

About 70 countries.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Cant give you figures but i believe the Hi Power has been issued to more military and police units around the world than the 1911, truly combat proven in its own right.
    You are right, and I know this fact, and it is a great handgun. Yet this does not make it better than the 1911 from a design perspective, I am very specific and can't emphasize this more. The proof is that the 1911 survived for a longer period, invaded 4 calibers (45 ACP, 40SW, 9mm and 10 mm), the 1911 trigger runs circles around the Hi power trigger from reset, to crispness to pull weight.. The 1911 trigger design allows for tuning while the hi power trigger does not.

I like what springfield did to the sights and the thumb safety. I wish they can modify the frame at the beaver tail and extend it a little bit, and do something on the trigger mechanism to bring it down to 4 lb and make the reset more tactile, then it would be a gun to compete with CZs and Sigs plus the nostalgic factor..

I am a Forum User
    =https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

About 70 countries.r..
    It is not the gun design alone that played a role in that, it is the caliber as well.. The hi power design was a 9mm that is more favored outside the USA, plus it was the only good reliable design in that caliber since the mid 1930s till the late 1960s, so obviously it would be adopted by alot of countries.. The 1911 was only a 45 ACP which is a very hard round to purchase outside the USA. You can not just pull one fact or data point and conclude a list of attributes from it. You have to look at the big picture..

The Hi power is a good gun, but it is not better than the 1911 from a design perspective. It is a more practical design with high capacity, but the 1911 is a more refined engineering design.

Has anyone looked at the prices on Gunbroker??? Do a search for Springfield P-35 on GB - There are only a handful of vendors offering them for sale, and one had a bid just over $1,300!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    As a Glock guy now who carried 1911s for years, the hi-power is far from obsolete. I always hoped someone would start producing custom shop Hi-powers with better triggers, improved safeties and a lot of the fit and finish and add ons you see in custom 1911's. They are a nice slim package (probably close to a Glock 48 ) and have a classic appeal. I like them far better than the Smith 39's, they're less clunky. Cool guns. And Beverly Hills cop carried one.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Has anyone looked at the prices on Gunbroker??? Do a search for Springfield P-35 on GB - There are only a handful of vendors offering them for sale, and one had a bid just over $1,300!
    I saw a couple with bids up over $2400!!?!?! I just hope the one I ordered comes in soon!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    It is not the gun design alone that played a role in that, it is the caliber as well.. The hi power design was a 9mm that is more favored outside the USA, plus it was the only good reliable design in that caliber since the mid 1930s till the late 1960s, so obviously it would be adopted by alot of countries.. The 1911 was only a 45 ACP which is a very hard round to purchase outside the USA. You can not just pull one fact or data point and conclude a list of attributes from it. You have to look at the big picture..

The Hi power is a good gun, but it is not better than the 1911 from a design perspective. It is a more practical design with high capacity, but the 1911 is a more refined engineering design.
    The hi power trigger is tunable it’s just more involved the only one of your criteria that can’t be achieved is the tactile reset which is of debatable benefit anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
    I saw a couple with bids up over $2400!!?!?! I just hope the one I ordered comes in soon!
    At that price I'll wait. A year if I have to. I want a detective model. 600 bucks or less if I wait

I am a Forum User
    No more obsolete than any other gun, just because it aint plastic its ready for the scrape heap??. Mine is a 1987 model made in Belgum by FNH, i was able to pick up one of Safarilands als holsters within the 5 minutes they offered them, and after some Cylinder & Slide Chrome goodies, It has become my edc.

Maybe now there will be more hoster options.
    Last edited by Rasher; 11-05-2021 at 12:40 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    At that price I'll wait. A year if I have to. I want a detective model. 600 bucks or less if I wait
    Yeah, no way I would pay that price. Mine was either retail or just under.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast