Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Crows and Groundhogs Needed

What counties offer the best possibilities for hunting these critters?

Looking for rural areas away from the larger cities.

Have 220 Swift - Will Travel.

I vividly remember crow hunting starting back in the 1990's using a Burnham Brothers portable cassette call with a dozen crow decoys set up in the tree line just off of a farm field with a very visible owl decoy in the center. If the crows find an owl during the day they go nuts trying to kill it, pay back for the night hunting owl killing crows in roost trees when they can't fly away because of the darkness. Within minutes turning the recording on, crows started circling high like buzzards, trying to find out what was going on, then like a trained fighter pilot, a single crow would dive and attack, weaving between the trees trying to attack the owl decoy, the lone crow was then followed by dozens of his flock... then the gunfire started. After about 30-45 minutes rest in between shootings, the waves of attacking crows continued several times during the day and afternoon. We would literally shoot a couple boxes of shells each time we went out and called in flocks. We found out that the crows were not stupid birds, full camouflage was required and even parking a car too close to the shooting area versus in the driveway would spook them and not one bird would come in. We did this a couple times every year until the old cassette player call quit working. We never bought another, reading your post brought back some good memories. I still have the mesh bag of crow decoys hanging in the rafter of the pole barn. I guess I need to order one of the new digital calls. We always had more luck in the fall season compared to the spring season.

Good times.

Last few years have been very hard on groundhogs so we started day time hunting raccoon with electronic call.Many farmer are happy to have you take as many as you like.If any questions send me a pm.