Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Red dot on a carbine, mounting position?

Just put a red dot on my newest acquisition (PS90) and I'm wondering if I should move it. Right now, I've got it as far back on the rail as it'll go without hanging off the back, but I've seen a picture of someone else's with the optic mounted at the opposite end of the rail...

Which should be better for using the sight? In looking through the sight where I've got it, I'm able to acquire my target with both eyes open (granted, sitting in my home office chair and using items on the wall as the target,) so we'll see how that works at the range soon.

I am a Forum User
    It's different for everyone, as it depends upon where your check rests on the stock. Ideally, you should have a full sight picture inside the scope and not be seeing either the inside of the scope (because you're too close) OR cutting down on seeing the full glass (because you're too far away). If that makes sense.

I am a Forum User
    It does, and makes me think I should move the optic forward a ways, maybe to ~1/2 way down the rail.

I am a Forum User
    If you move the entire firearm forward and backward while viewing through the RDS, you should get a idea of how much you should need to move it. Again, there's no one absolute position (although most will be close).

MGO Member
    Mount it where it most comfortable for you. On my AR's I like mine right over the magwel but that is just my preference. You do what works for you.

Really depends on what you prefer, and what dot you’re running. On my AUG, I keep the optic rather close to get a better field of view through the larger sized tube. On my AKM though, it’s mounted way forward. With it that far forward, I do get a much wider field of view, but that’s a result of being able to easily see around the narrow tube.

Mounted rearward, looking through the tube. Mounted about the same distance from the eye as you’d typically mount on an AR. My nose falls about where the rail begins on that AUG.

Mounted forward, looking around the tube.

I find that I don’t tunnel vision as much on the AKM compared to the AUG.