Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Is it cost effective to move a safe across the country from Michigan to Texas?

Given that they probably charge by the weight of what they move, would you think that moving a $1000 safe from Michigan to Houston, TX is worth it or should I sell it here and buy a new one there? I have not checked with the professional movers yet for their opinion. Just wondered if anyone has actually gone through this situation.

MGO Member
    I hired movers to move all of my large items last time I moved. My safe and my 8' 1 piece pool table did not add to the price. They charged me by the hour based on how many guys I needed to handle the heavy items.

This was only a 30 mile move though, not across country. I would call and ask a few companies. Some wanted to charge extra for my pool table and some didnt care what they had to move.

Check out the safe price where you are relocating too.
    It could be cost effective, run the numbers before making a decision to Buy or Transport by the owner (uhaul) or Hire a commercial company.

The Viral Home Safe Commercial You Have to Watch (Liberty) Link:

It may be better to let someone else do the heavy moving.

Thats a good distance, you still have time for decision if you haven't talked to mover as yet.
    Who made delivery, a store service $+ ? or hire a company to move it
    How much does it weigh ? ? ?
    How old is it ( do you want a larger one in new location

Part of the priceing is "where is it located" in your home, thus how hard to get it out. And then there is the
    weight charge for that distance

I've move twice . . . moved the safe first time, it weighed 400lbs . . . 2 guys ( BIG) grabbed it and walked up and out !
    Same people unloaded at new destination 279 miles, weight additional charge was $35.00 nothing else.
    Second move . . . . safe was then 10 yrs old and i want a bigger one. Left it as part of the home sale inventory.
    Bought a new one that was delivered by store at new location for additional $150

Good luck . . . . major moves are a P.I.A.

MGO Member
    Thanks for the reply Blue XJ

I am a Forum User
    Mine has been all over the country, its no harder to move than a piece of furniture and it didnt add any cost. I of course dont know anything about your safe, the one I moved was about the size of a smaller refrigerator.

MGO Member
    Thanks moe.ron. Mine is about the same size and I guess between 600-800# . I know shipping costs are going up but don't know by how much. I have to move about 1200 miles to near Houston. I did check the price of safes that size and they are now more expensive than when I bought mine so I guess I am going to keep it and move it.

I am a Forum User
    Moved mine from MI to TX a couple of years ago. Where are you moving to in TX, I am north of Houston.

MGO Member
    Me too elwarpo. I am in Humble. Not far from the Woodlands. Do you remember how much they charged you for just the safe? Or did they not break down the cost?