Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Something Between Blue and Red Loktite[?]

One grip screw as well as the thread protector on my Tanfoglio Witness keep coming loose after some rounds on the range. I tried blue Loktite but they still came loose. I see the red flavor is considered "permanent" but how permanent is "permanent"? Is there anything in between or do I just have to accept if I ever want to remove them after using red flavor it'll be a pain or just deal with stuff coming loose without?

On a related note, would blue flavor hold up better on a 5.56 muzzle device for my Tavor?

Red can be removed with heat but blue is the preferred choice.

You have made sure your threads are oil free, clean and tightened properly? Blue has severed me well for both sight and mount screws plus other things around the house.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    One grip screw as well as the thread protector on my Tanfoglio Witness keep coming loose after some rounds on the range. I tried blue Loktite but they still came loose. I see the red flavor is considered "permanent" but how permanent is "permanent"? Is there anything in between or do I just have to accept if I ever want to remove them after using red flavor it'll be a pain or just deal with stuff coming loose without?

On a related note, would blue flavor hold up better on a 5.56 muzzle device for my Tavor?
    Muzzle devices, use Rockett.

Clean screws with brake clean prior to using blue and you shouldn't have any problems.

I am a Forum User
    Try Vibra-Tite VC-3 on the screws.

Suggest using Rocksett on muzzle devices where high temperature is involved.

Both products are considered removable.

Nail polish

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Muzzle devices, use Rockett.

Clean screws with brake clean prior to using blue and you shouldn't have any problems.
    This 100%.

Use the right thread locker for the job.

I have been seeing more and more gunsmiths also using the Vibra-Tite brands.

Also from https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...ernatives.html:
    Does Nail Polish Work as a Threadlocker?
    Another common threadlocker alternative for small, quick jobs is nail polish. While it isn’t an adhesive, many people working with low-torque applications believe using nail polish as a threadlocker can stop fasteners coming loose.

Nail polishes can often fail fast if deployed as threadlockers, particularly when faced with vibration. The lack of adhesive properties in nail polishes means they can’t form any real bond between the surfaces, so will quickly fail.

Despite being able to fill air gaps to some extent, when they’re exposed to vibration, heat or other chemicals, nail polish won’t restrict the movement between threads.

In addition, nail polish is not designed to cure to give a strong bonding performance. Unlike a threadlocker, it doesn’t cure as a thermoset plastic. This means it won’t have the ability to seal the fastener properly, increasing the chance of failure. Nail polish also turns brittle when it dries, causing it to break apart and weaken bonds.

Just think how easily a painted nail can chip or crack. When faced with vibrations, shocks, heat and other factors, the result is likely to be the same. And like superglues, nail polishes are also more susceptible to weakening when exposed to any lubricants or extreme heat. This can further increase the risk of assembly failure and substantial downtime.

TL/DR Nail Polish is NOT a good thread locker, and should not be recommend in this role.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post

Blue should easily handle the task of locking on smaller screws, RED LocTite is a death wish on smaller screws as you need a LOT of heat to even have a chance of that being removable (usually a small screw will twist off first before the red LocTite releases)

The usual cause of blue not working correctly is oil on the threads or in the threaded hole. As mentioned above use brake clean & get both the screw threads & hole threads squeaky clean.

The next cause of the blue not holding properly is putting the LocTite only on the screw threads when a blind hole is involved. You need to use a tooth pick (or similar) to also put some LocTite into the threads in the blind hole. If you only put the LocTite on the screw threads there is a high chance that the pressure build under the screw as it is turned in will just push the LocTite back out as the screw is screwed in so very little, if any, left on the threads to do the locking.

Red should work OK on the muzzle device but if you get it hot enough in rapid fire it might degrade it's hold.

MGO Member
    Red is permanent....but you can apply heat via and electric soldering iron and the parts/screws will be able to be removed without damage, ask me how I know. I installed a muzzle brake on my Kel-tec sub 2000 and it came with a tube of Locktite 380, I used that but I don't plan on removing the brake.

I’ve been using red fastenal thread lock since I was in high school. Stronger than blue, but not as bad as red loc-tite. I’ve never had a problem removing a fastener with it on there. From scope mount screws, to 900 psi air fittings, to 1” bolts.

Loctite, if used correctly, should do the job. Loctite says to use their primer to remove oils from threads. I use pink for small threads, no issues
    Active airport shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast