Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Smith and Wesson .357 identification/serial number help

I’m trying to get a correct model number and approximate age on this gun but the more I read, the more confused I get?!?
    I’m new to this forum and can’t seem to post photos

This gun has a 3.5” barrel and the numbers I see are :
    S 101337
    K0 24213 (right below this number is a 7)

Thank you in advance to any help I can get?

Serial number should be in the yoke with model number and series number. The series number will give some general indication of the age of the gun

M10-2
    As example
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    That S prefix serial # shows a 1953 - 1954 production date, N frame square butt.
    Might be early enough to have 6 lines down the back strap instead of 10.
    You can PM me for specific measurements and other info. Does it have the gold box?
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    It did have a gold box if I remember correctly with blue or black writing also had a cleaning tool and a small screwdriver but I’m not sure what happened to it over the years. It does have 6 lines if you mean on the back edge of grip. The barrel is printed S &W .357 magnum. I don’t believe the grips are original they are more like target grips

on a S&W revolver, the true serial number, stamped on older or engraved on newer, is located on the butt of the revolver, the model number and may include a "dash" followed by the version (and sometimes a duplicate and/or partial serial number) is located on the inside yoke of the frame, the same area where inspection and recall modification stamps are located.

4 screw or 5 screw might help

(3.5" model 27?)

These people would probably know - http://smith-wessonforum.com/

I am a Forum User
    Yes on the inside of cylinder edge and butt are stamped S 101337.
    The inside of yoke is Stamped kO 24213 7

since you're not posting photos it makes it difficult, but an older S&W revolver N-frame with no model number stamp, barrel marked 357 Magnum, it is probably a Pre-Model 27, the only other one I think it could be was the first version of the 357 which was the Registered Magnum, but it would be stamped "REG + #'s" on the inside frame when cylinder is opened. If it were a K-frame Pre-Model 19, the barrel would be stamped Combat Magnum.

There are a several S&W Pre-27 on Gunbroker, one even has the original tan/gold+blue-ink box, see if it looks like what you have, in my opinion their asking price is way high, but you never know.

Please let us know what you determine and post some pics when you can.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you, I believe you are correct! Thanks for all the input and help provided. Not sure why new users can’t post photos but it seems like it would be helpful on a forum to show what you’re talking about

I am a Forum User
    I’m sorry i meant to ask if anyone would have insight into the trigger on this revolver and a model. 29 I have that seem wider then the photos of other revolvers of the same year and type. My revolvers both have to roll pins going through the side of trigger holding this wider piece on. Once again pics would be helpful in this situation. Thanks for any help you can give.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast