Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Removing thread protector from barrel, suggestions?

Just ordered a muzzle device for my bolt rifle, based on some quick internet searching I got the thread size / pitch I need, now I just need to figure out how to get the thread protector off the existing barrel.

It does have "crosshatching" on it, so I might be able to get it off by hand, but if not, would it be safe to put a rag on the protector, clamp on with a pair of pliers and work it free?

Marketplace Moderator
    Yes. That should save the thread protector. Most people just use channel locks and throw the thread protector away.
    Good Safe Shooting, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    I'll probably look to save the protector, in the event I either decide to take off the muzzle device permanently or something.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to moosefisher again"

Marketplace Moderator
    What does that last comment even mean. Makes no sense! You asked a question and I tried to help you??? Oh well

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    What does that last comment even mean. Makes no sense! You asked a question and I tried to help you??? Oh well
    It’s a system reply because he tried to give you reputation points-he likely posted as a way of say he tried to ‘thank’ you but couldn’t.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Do you have a rubber strap wrench, or could you borrow one? Otherwise I’d use something more substantial than an old rag under the pliers to protect it when you try removing it. Give it a shot of PB Blaster, Kroil or some other good penetrant and wrap it in some old leather or rubber to protect it from the pliers.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    Just ordered a muzzle device for my bolt rifle, based on some quick internet searching I got the thread size / pitch I need, now I just need to figure out how to get the thread protector off the existing barrel.

It does have "crosshatching" on it, so I might be able to get it off by hand, but if not, would it be safe to put a rag on the protector, clamp on with a pair of pliers and work it free?
    Lowes or Home Depot you can buy 'soft jaws' pliers. I keep a set in all my tools boxes. You can also buy them via Amazon. They are just inexpensive Channel Lock knock-offs with plastic jaw covers. Or, if you are near Dearborn Heights, drop by Palais du RifleGuy and you can borrow mine.

In a pinch, a block of wood with a hole drilled to the size of the thread protector outside diameter. Cut the block in half, place in a bench vice, clamp around thread protector. You should be able to generate enough force by hand to easily remove the thread protector. (Remove action from stock first...)

Penetrating oil and a blow drier before doing anything.

(Sorry for the semi-coherent thought train. At work, attempting to multi-task.... and failing.)
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Piece of leather and a pair of pliers.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
    Piece of leather and a pair of pliers.
    And if that doesn't work a piece on inner tube and pliers should get the job done. Which ever one you choose clean the thread protector of oil before you try to take it off to prevent the rubber/leather from slipping.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    Heh, sorry, but as balrog006 said, I tried to give you rep, the system told me "no" and I thought it'd be cute to put in the system reply. But you did help me out by letting me know I wouldn't potentially destroy / damage the barrel with what I had in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast