Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

DLC slide refinish

Who does the best DLC slide refinishing in South East Michigan. Or put another way who comes highly recommended?

I'll bet you don't know what DLC stands for.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    DLC, Melonite, Tenifer, Nitrex, etc are all just FNC or Ferritic-nitrocarburizing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferr...trocarburizing
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    I'll bet you don't know what DLC stands for.
    (D)iamond (L)ike (C)oating

Now back on point to__

Who does the best DLC slide refinishing in South East Michigan. Or put another way who comes highly recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    (D)iamond (L)ike (C)oating

Now back on point to__

Diamond Like Carbon (coating) FNC definitely isn’t as common as Creakote or other more in vogue firearms finishes. I know of a couple places that sub it out as part of their slide services so you may be able to ask them who they use. Doug at ATEI and Jagerwerks both offer FNC refinishing as part of their work, but don’t perform it in house. I know they both come highly recommended and reviewed so their preferred vendor for the FNC would be one I’d consider regardless of their location. There is also a place in SWMI that lists it as part of their repertoire, http://www.technickel.com/ though I cannot vouch for them or even know if they do single piece firearms work.

A search turns up a scattering of choices for firearms services across the US and beyond, but lots of chatter indicates most gun shops don’t actually do the work in house and sub it to a couple of big clearinghouse coaters that only take work from FFL’s or do single piece work.

I again suggest you call a few of them and ask who they use and see if those places accept work from an individual.

I am a Forum User
    I do have some feelers out to a number of out-of-state coaters but with todays Covid concerns effecting the ability to get qualified workers I would rather do a face-to-face with a local if possible.

I do have some feelers out to a number of out-of-state coaters but with todays Covid concerns effecting the ability to get qualified workers I would rather do a face-to-face with a local if possible.
    That was my point though, the process isn’t one that a regular gunsmith or a usual coating application business can or will do. It’s a specialty service because of the process and materials required and therefore there are few places that do it and most of them are bigger production facilities that can’t or don’t take single parts from individuals or are not local.

I’ve had two Glocks into Jagerwerks and chose their FNC re-coating option after they did their in house milling-I know they sent the slides out somewhere, but I didn’t ask where. They were both returned looking good as a factory Glock.

I’d locate the best place to do it for you that will take your work and send it to them-the right place and people with the right skills for a quality job would trump my convenience to walk/drive to them to deliver or pickup the work. Plus I’d hesitate greatly to find some local place that does do it a handful of times a year and try and trust them to do the job with comparable quality to one of the main players-there’s a lot to be said for knowledge, familiarity and skill in this-instead of it being a one off occasional type of project for someone local.

I am a Forum User
    That's exactly why I am here asking for highly recommended. I have no problem sending it out but it is still a crap shoot with todays worker shortage as even time tested businesses have current worker turnovers & lack of competent replacements.

I might have to change direction a bit & settle for a (PVD) type coating.

That's exactly why I am here asking for highly recommended. I have no problem sending it out but it is still a crap shoot with todays worker shortage as even time tested businesses have current worker turnovers & lack of competent replacements.

I might have to change direction a bit & settle for a (PVD) type coating.
    Your concerns about send out companies having workforce issues holds true with any local business as well-any review or recommendations based on past performance prior to 1-1.5 years ago are about equally out of date and subject to drastic changes be they local or not. So either you take those old reviews and recommendations with a grain of COVID salt and pick one or you look for one that has a review since things when to crap and get a more representative picture of how things may be now. My experience with Jagerwerks and their FNC coating was with the last 2-4 months. I’d highly recommend looking at whoever they use.