Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Lowly .380 ACP

Today's ammo focus is primarily on .45 ACP (thank you, Mr. Browning), 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and a few others. For a while, not all that long ago, the lowly .380 ACP, along with it's smaller cousins, were all but dead - abandoned and scorned by the "real" defensive shooters.

I seem to recall a time when the .380 and .32 seemed to be the caliber of choice for semiautomatic handguns. Heck, even a .25 could do the job. I do realize there are many other factors involved, shot placement being primary.

All that said, I see many shooters advocating the .380 as an EDC. Even the teeny-weeny .32 can be considered as viable (it's better than a .22, which is better than a sharp stick, right?).

So, talk about the .380 and the smaller calibers (not so much which semiautomatic is best or favorite, but more focus on the caliber as a target or defensive round). Why do you like or dislike it? Have you ever shot a .32 or .380; if so what are your thoughts?

Let's have fun, and not bash.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    I think advancements in bullet design and powders are the biggest driving factors in 380 seeing a comeback. That and all the cool viable compact carry options that are available now as compared to even just a few years ago.

MGO Member
    Back in the day I replaced a 25 auto with a 22lr auto, then went with a AMT 380 Backup as a back up gun while on duty. Some of the guys carried Walther PPKs as back ups and off duty. I sold the AMT when I moved and picked up a used Keltec P32 pretty cheap back in the day. I still have it but rarely carry it.

The 380 really came back with the introduction of the small pocket guns, first the Keltec 3AT and the Ruger knockoff LCP (which I have and carry occasionally). For awhile and maybe still the LCP was the most popular handgun in the US. My son who is a trauma surgery PA said shootings with 380s skyrocketed over the last 5 or 6 years. Shootings overall haven't skyrocketed but the use of the 380 over other calibers has.

The only other 380 I have is the S&W EZ which I bought for my wife. It's the only centerfire handgun she likes to shoot and she's pretty good with it. It's a nice package, fairly soft shooting and good enough for punching holes in stuff.

If the object of shooting someone is to punch holes in them to let blood out the 380 does that just fine. If given the choice of not being armed or carrying a micro 380, I'm sure most if not all would choose the later.
    Last edited by Garymac; 12-20-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Today's ammo focus is primarily on .45 ACP (thank you, Mr. Browning), 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and a few others. For a while, not all that long ago, the lowly .380 ACP, along with it's smaller cousins, were all but dead - abandoned and scorned by the "real" defensive shooters.

I seem to recall a time when the .380 and .32 seemed to be the caliber of choice for semiautomatic handguns. Heck, even a .25 could do the job. I do realize there are many other factors involved, shot placement being primary.

All that said, I see many shooters advocating the .380 as an EDC. Even the teeny-weeny .32 can be considered as viable (it's better than a .22, which is better than a sharp stick, right?).

So, talk about the .380 and the smaller calibers (not so much which semiautomatic is best or favorite, but more focus on the caliber as a target or defensive round). Why do you like or dislike it? Have you ever shot a .32 or .380; if so what are your thoughts?

Let's have fun, and not bash.
    Very debatable, the .380 is right on the edge of having enough power for self defense. Modern bullet design with good powder selection can make it usable.

With the .380 in a short barreled pistol there is usually a trade off of: either deep enough penetration through heavy clothing or enough expansion if a deeper penetrating round is chosen.

I carry a .380 at times when I need deep concealment & sometimes carry a small .380 as a backup gun.

The problems with selecting a .380 kind of compounds themselves as most (not all though) .380 guns are selected for being small with very short barrels so the somewhat weak .380 gets even weaker due to the short barrel guns that it is usually used in. Plus a lot of smaller .380 pistols don't carry many rounds in the magazine so that further limits the .380 as main go-to carry gun. Then you need to add in the short sight radius & small stature on most .380 pistols that further limits precise accuracy in fast shot placement.

A .380 +P should help (close to 1000 ft second) but a lot of the smaller .380 guns are not rated for +p ammo.

The .380 obviously WILL work as many have been killed with a .380 over the years but it does have it's limitations as far as fast disablement goes.

As I mentioned above I do carry one so I trust it enough for carry but it sure isn't my first choice if I have other options.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    Very debatable, the .380 is right on the edge of having enough power for self defense. Modern bullet design with good powder selection can make it usable.

With the .380 in a short barreled pistol there is usually a trade off of: either deep enough penetration through heavy clothing or enough expansion if a deeper penetrating round is chosen.

I carry a .380 at times when I need deep concealment & sometimes carry a small .380 as a backup gun.

The problems with selecting a .380 kind of compounds themselves as most (not all though) .380 guns are selected for being small with very short barrels so the somewhat weak .380 gets even weaker due to the short barrel guns that it is usually used in. Plus a lot of smaller .380 pistols don't carry many rounds in the magazine so that further limits the .380 as main go-to carry gun. Then you need to add in the short sight radius & small stature on most .380 pistols that further limits precise accuracy in fast shot placement.

A .380 +P should help (close to 1000 ft second) but a lot of the smaller .380 guns are not rated for +p ammo.

The .380 obviously WILL work as many have been killed with a .380 over the years but it does have it's limitations as far as fast disablement goes.

As I mentioned above I do carry one so I trust it enough for carry but it sure isn't my first choice if I have other options.
    Well, any gun is better than no gun, no one wants to get shot. For punching holes, the 380 does just fine. Also the introduction of hi cap 380s i.e, the LCP Max gives you extra punches which may make up for lack of power.

Also, the Beretta 84 has a 13 round mag. A guy I worked with carried one off duty for many years.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    The .38 special is comparable to the .380 in power. I think I would rather carry the .380 which gives you 12 rounds vs 6 in the .38.

I am a Forum User
    Anything traveling under 2,000 fps isn't moving fast enough to do substantial damage, and even rifle rounds need a center mass or CNS shot to immediately incapacitate someone. Even then that doesn't always happen. All in all, handgun rounds do not immediately incapacitate. 85% of those shot with handgun rounds who make it to the hospital survive, so this notion that a 9mm vs. a .45 vs. a .380 is going to have a substantial difference is in reality a moot point.

The point I hear often is encountering someone hopped up on drugs. I don't have any statistics or data to back this up, however I believe that police are more apt to encounter someone like that compared to the average concealed carrier. People don't like being shot, so shooting at someone attacking you is more than likely going to scare them off. Someone continuing an attack after being shot is probably unlikely, and there are a ton of videos on LiveLeak that back this up. Once shooting starts, perps usually scram.

I highly suggest everyone watch the two following videos:

I am a Forum User

Stanley always carried a PPK's 24/7.

I am a Forum User
    I've had a fondness for 380's for many years.
    Have owned 3:
    # 1 was a Taurus 58 (a nice copy of the Beretta 84) 13 rnd dgl. stack..only issue is finding mags for it..kinda scarce / expensive
    It's very reliable, fairly accurate, & never had an issue with it, at all.

#2 was a CZ-83.. this is an all-steel tank of a pistol.
    Barrel is fixed to the frame, creating great accuracy, & all steel construction make it larger & heavier than most 380's.
    The large physical size & hefty weight make it easy for large hands to hold onto, the weight dampens recoil, making it a soft shooter.
    Maybe too large & heavy for those wanting a small, light , carry piece, but one of the most pleasant shooting 380's you'll ever shoot, IMO.

#3 is a Sig Sauer 232.. an improved design over the Walther PPK , IMO
    Sig made the back of the frame curve more, so the web of your hand doesn't ride up beneath the slide,
    thus preventing the notorious slide -bite PPK's have been known to cause.

The Sig is very light (aluminum frame) small in size, & also uses a barrel that is attached to the frame, for enhanced accuracy.
    The Sig 232 is no longer made, unfortunately...(replaced by the 238 ) I'd set out to buy a 238, but discovered the 232 fit my large hand much better.
    Only downside to the 232 I could make is the smaller mag capacity.. & maybe cost..it's a Sig..they do tend to cost a little more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast