Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I carry a Colt Mustang in 380 acp most of the time in the warmer months. Easy to conceal & with lighter clothing, I feel confident that I could at least disable an attacker. 90% of the time I carry 2 extra mags on my weak side.

Winter, I carry a SA XD SUB COMPACT in 9mm.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    ...It was just more comfortable sitting around in the hospital than my LC9s...
    I was recently visiting at a hospital and security sent me back out to to my car for a box cutter in my pocket.

I am a Forum User
    I'm 5'7" and 155lbs and I've never had a problem concealing a J or a G43, even wearing shorts and a T-shirt, so I have no reason to go smaller. Most days, I could conceal my G19, if I wanted.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-2many View Post
    I was recently visiting at a hospital and security sent me back out to to my car for a box cutter in my pocket.
    If you go through ER at just about any hospital you are likely to be checked. Most hospitals don't have metal detectors at their main entrances.
    Last edited by Garymac; 12-21-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post

I highly suggest everyone watch the two following videos:
    [/video]
    I've sent that video from the anesthesiologist to everyone that has ever asked me about what caliber they should choose, or asked about stopping power, etc.
    That and "Why I will never talk to the police" are two of my all time favorite YouTube videos.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I just ordered a 911 in 9mm, but still open to a getting a really small 380. Lcp. Or cw380 something like that.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyD View Post
    The .38 special is comparable to the .380 in power. I think I would rather carry the .380 which gives you 12 rounds vs 6 in the .38.

Maybe 60 years ago but not now.

A 90 gr hp bullet in a .38 special +P out of my Ruger LCR snubbie clocks just short of 1,300 fps. That equates to just under 330 ft/lbs of energy.

I have never seen a short barrel .380 come close to that with a 90 grain bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Anything traveling under 2,000 fps isn't moving fast enough to do substantial damage, and even rifle rounds need a center mass or CNS shot to immediately incapacitate someone. Even then that doesn't always happen. All in all, handgun rounds do not immediately incapacitate. 85% of those shot with handgun rounds who make it to the hospital survive, so this notion that a 9mm vs. a .45 vs. a .380 is going to have a substantial difference is in reality a moot point.

The point I hear often is encountering someone hopped up on drugs. I don't have any statistics or data to back this up, however I believe that police are more apt to encounter someone like that compared to the average concealed carrier. People don't like being shot, so shooting at someone attacking you is more than likely going to scare them off. Someone continuing an attack after being shot is probably unlikely, and there are a ton of videos on LiveLeak that back this up. Once shooting starts, perps usually scram.

I highly suggest everyone watch the
    Agreed, I think even in detroit, all shooting victims, so including rifles, factoring in terrible response times of emd. Survival rate is almost 90 percent.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I recently bought a Ruger LCP Max so that I could have just about the smallest pistol that I could pocket carry especially in the summer in clothes with pockets that are small than cargo shorts sized pockets. Some have found a very small 9mm that works for them for pocket carry which is fine. Others like me want the smallest available which means paying more for .380 ACP ammo that costs more. We also may be stuck with defensive ammo that either does not expand as much as 9mm or does not penetrate as much or both. I have watched many of the videos on Youtube testing through cloth and gel that shows how 9mm performs better than .380 ACP. I also bought a slightly larger pistol, a 9mm, that I plan to carry during the fall, winter, and early spring that will be easier to conceal when when dressed in warmer clothing. With the least expensive, reliable, brass cased .380 ACP FMJ ammo costing me 50 CPR delivered and 9mm costing me 30 CPR I am also planning to do most of my practicing with 9mm than .380 for now. It would be nice if the .380 ACP ammo prices dropped significantly before I regularly carry the LCP Max. I also have a TX-22 so I can do some practicing at 7 to 10 CPR. I don't plan to carry it but may keep a magazine with Federal Punch or Winchester Silver Tip with it in the house as a better than nothing 3rd defensive option in the house. I don't yet have a permit to carry.

Here’s another interesting little caliber.

.32 NAA

I’m not one to carry a mouse gun, I prefer to tolerate full size. This is the one micro pistol I actually carry though. The entire point of the cartridge is to get velocity high enough to have reliable expansion out of a micro gun. 1200 fps out of this little guy with a 60 grain bullet. Not too bad. It is truly proprietary though. The cartridge was designed around the gun, and the gun was designed around the cartridge. The Guardian was the only factory gun chambered in it. Ammo is still available, but it is scarce. Only Hornady makes it now, in a 70 grain 1000 fps variety. Reloading dies used to be offered by Lee, but are only available by custom order now.

I suppose it had a purpose when it came out in the early 2000’s when .380 bullets weren’t as advanced as they are today with reliable expansion, but in the times of the LCP Max and Federal HST I think it’s just a moot point. I still own it, carry it (on rare occasion) and will probably buy up all the ammo I can whenever Hornady announces an end of production for it. It is an interesting cartridge and a very well made gun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123