Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: Colt 1911 Frame

I am a Forum User

Colt 1911 Frame

Greetings,
    I have a colt 1911 and it would appear that the slide is not original to the frame. The slide says Colt MK IV/series 70 Government model and the frame has a serial number of 37926. I cannot find anything else on the frame. On Colts website there is a 38 super frame that was from the mid 40’s and also a 45 frame from early 1911 or so. Not sure how to obtain more info.
    Thx
    Sunnenman

MGO Member
    Are you sure it is a Colt frame? That serial number, if complete, doesn't make much sense.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Are you sure it is a Colt frame? That serial number, if complete, doesn't make much sense.
    Hi John,
    I am not sure if the frame is a colt. I need to disassemble and see if I can find other markings.

I am a Forum User
    All Colt MK IV/series 70 will say "Colt PT FA MFG CO Hartford Conn." on the frame above the serial number. Pre-70 series and earlier may not have that roll mark on the frame. Also all Colt 70 series serial numbers will have a 70G prefix or a G70 Suffix depending on when it was made and some late ones will have a B70 suffix as well as the reproductions made in the 2000's.

Pictures will help but I doubt it's a Colt frame.

MGO Member
    I have an Essex frame with a Marvel upper, that has a 5 digit serial number.

On the right side above the serial, do you see Essex Arms Corp? They were made in Island Pond VT.

Back in the day, Essex frames were used to build a lot of budget target guns.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

MGO Member
    double

Pictures would be very helpful.....

I am a Forum User
    I can’t find any markings on the frame except for the serial number. If you can message me an email or cell number I can get a picture to you.
    Thank you