Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I received a latter from the ATF regarding my form 1 suppressor kit from Diversified Machine

So, I just received a letter from the ATF today regarding my purchase of form 1 suppressor parts from Diversified Machine. I had my form 1 before the purchase of the parts, so I am pretty sure that this letter does not apply to me.

What should I say when I call the ATF? "I had a form 1 for these parts before I purchased them"?

Also, I noticed that the form1suppressor.boards.net website has been taken down, granted it has been about a year since I was on that website, so not sure what happened to it.

This is an article on TTAG with the same letter that I received.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/at...art-consumers/

This is from the ATF website
    https://www.atf.gov/detroit-field-di...sified-machine
    It is a violation of federal law to manufacture, receive, transport, and/or deliver a silencer not registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (26 USC §§ 5861(a),(d),(e),(f), and (j)).

The possession of a silencer sold by Diversified Machine is a violation of federal law. If you are in possession of a silencer sold by Diversified Machine you should contact your nearest ATF office, or call 1-800-ATF-GUNS.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    So, I just received a letter from the ATF today regarding my purchase of form 1 suppressor parts from Diversified Machine. I had my form 1 before the purchase of the parts, so I am pretty sure that this letter does not apply to me.

What should I say when I call the ATF? "I had a form 1 for these parts before I purchased them"?

Also, I noticed that the form1suppressor.boards.net website has been taken down, granted it has been about a year since I was on that website, so not sure what happened to it.

This is an article on TTAG with the same letter that I received.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/at...art-consumers/

This is from the ATF website
    https://www.atf.gov/detroit-field-di...sified-machine
    It is a violation of federal law to manufacture, receive, transport, and/or deliver a silencer not registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (26 USC §§ 5861(a),(d),(e),(f), and (j)).

The possession of a silencer sold by Diversified Machine is a violation of federal law. If you are in possession of a silencer sold by Diversified Machine you should contact your nearest ATF office, or call 1-800-ATF-GUNS.
    The letter says it MAY be a violation.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Isn't the key whether the suppressor is registered or not? As long as you file the paperwork to register, and more importantly to our money grubbing government, pay the $200 fee, what is the issue? From what I gathered from the letter, they are fishing for people who bought the kit but didn't register the completed suppressor.
    Lighten up Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    Isn't the key whether the suppressor is registered or not? As long as you file the paperwork to register, and more importantly to our money grubbing government, pay the $200 fee, what is the issue? From what I gathered from the letter, they are fishing for people who bought the kit but didn't register the completed suppressor.
    I do have a Form 1, and followed the letter of the law with this form 1 suppressor. I find it funny that the letter says I have an unregistered suppressor, and the letter came from the ATF with whom I have an approved form 1. They know that I have permission for the use of these parts for my form 1 suppressor. Seems like a fishing expedition to me. Also seems like they don't know, or don't care exactly what parts I purchased. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have just bought a suppressor from Silencerco, rugged, etc. My Form 1 suppressor is not really all that quiet, but I wanted to build my own and it was a fun process.

I am a Forum User
    The NFA "database" is a bunch of boxes do of paper dating back to the 1930s, they don't even knot what's in there at this point. They're just looking for people to be afraid and turn themselves in for nothing because all the parts on the website are legal. Solvent trap parts. Just ignore the letter. Also, try clipping your baffles to improve the tone of the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_The_ATF View Post
    The NFA "database" is a bunch of boxes do of paper dating back to the 1930s, they don't even knot what's in there at this point. They're just looking for people to be afraid and turn themselves in for nothing because all the parts on the website are legal. Solvent trap parts. Just ignore the letter. Also, try clipping your baffles to improve the tone of the can.
    Thanks, yes, I still need to clip my baffles. I had meant to do that using my octane as reference, but never got around to doing it. I need to research the best way to clip them.

More information from a different internet forum.

"The ATF agent at my local office that I scanned the letter to got back to me. Since talking to him last the Detroit office did send out an internal memo (he agreed it would have been good for them to send that info out before sending the letter). Highlights of what he said based on the memo he got:

-Confirmed it was sent out to 4500 people.

-Said it 'looks' like they pulled the customer database.

-I sent him a picture of the 2 muzzle brakes I purchased. He said they did not look anything like the 'picture in his memo' which looked like 'baffles and threaded tubes'.

-He would pass my inquiry on to the Detroit office in charge of it to follow up with me to confirm if I needed to do anything.

-IF what the person purchased is deemed a suppressor, they are looking for things to be turned in or destroyed. He stressed this in reaction to me saying everything I have is legally registered, and that I wanted to stay within the bounds of the law. He specifically made a point to assure me that that was the expected outcome and that there were 'no agents sitting in a van waiting to come get you'.

I know that last one is the big IF that is concerning to people. Not in the same place as many since all I did was purchase muzzle brakes (and this was well before he even was selling 'kits' at all) but I do think it was a worthwhile conversation to have. I will update this if and when the agent in Detroit that sent the letter out contacts me."

I am a Forum User
    The ATF is fishing. They seized the entire customer DB from Diversified Machine and sent letters to pretty much everyone, regardless of what they bought.

So, someone else contacted the ATF, and got them to send him an email.Name:  ATF-email.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  66.2 KB

I am a Forum User
    Interesting little saga concerning this taking place in WA state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast