Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

To Crimp or not to Crimp

I see some ammo has some crimping and some do not. What's the purpose of the crimp? Does it help with bullet set back?

I only crimped 357mag when I had one. The factory crimp die I use for 9mm and 45acp, really don’t do much more than iron out the flare. Never had a setback issue ever The crimp on a 357, is more for keeping the bullet from unseating under heavy recoil. The taper crimp in a semi auto is for setback.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Yes.. Magnum revolver cartridges, are most likely to experience bullet "set back" when in the cylinder of a revolver.
    Revolver rds. usually have a crimp groove, or knurling ring on the bullet, and a "roll" crimp is recommended, to avoid bullet set-back,
    and resulting dangerous pressure spikes from the set-back.

Because auto loaders usually headspace on the rim of the cartridge, a taper crimp is the preferred method of crimping bullets in this application.

I’ve seen the bullet set back into the case in semi autos during charging once or twice. Matter of fact I was talking to a fellow shooter about a round rotated in my magazine during my every 3/4 week cleanings of my carry gun that failed to chamber and had the bullet pushed back about 0.150”+. This was a factory 9mm of a brand I have been 100% happy with in the past that had been chamber no more then 2X-3Xs prior to failure.
    Bullets with a crimp groove take a roll crimp intended to keep the bullet from backing out of the case during recoil as Joe already discussed and, are normally found in heavy recoiling cartridges Bullets without a groove take a tapered crimp intended to keep the bullet from setting back into the case during feeding in semi autos. These are the norm and not 100%.
    The set backs I have seen have been almost always the result of a round failing to feed and the nose of the bullet jamming against the feed ramp or barrel hood and being hammered back.
    The only cast of a bullet moving in the case was in a 45 LC revolver useing stout reloads of my making with long heavy for caliber lead bullets.
    I learned a thing as to why heavy crimps that day, especially in shorter cylinder revolvers
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray