Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Registering found pistol

In going through some of my friends long dead father's belongings they found a pistol. Is there a way to go about making it legally owned? If it was bought during his marriage to their mother does she own it? I believe it was registered to him though. It would have been originally purchased in the '60s.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Not an answer to your question but you may want to ask a mod to move this topic to the Legal Beagle forum where a proper answer from a lawyer could be rendered.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member
    Yes, the wife/widow as the owner could sign the RI10/RI60 as the seller. They don't check/care who the previous owner was anyway so realistically and I maintain legally, anyone in possession of the pistol could sign it as the seller. All the state wants to know and cares about is who it's transferred to.
    Last edited by Garymac; 01-11-2022 at 08:49 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio88 View Post
    In going through some of my friends long dead father's belongings they found a pistol. Is there a way to go about making it legally owned? If it was bought during his marriage to their mother does she own it? I believe it was registered to him though. It would have been originally purchased in the '60s.
    Was the estate ever settled?
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Not an answer to your question but you may want to ask a mod to move this topic to the Legal Beagle forum where a proper answer from a lawyer could be rendered.
    Because, of course, there's absolutely no way that anyone other than a lawyer could correctly answer a question correctly on these forums ...

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Because, of course, there's absolutely no way that anyone other than a lawyer could correctly answer a question correctly on these forums ...
    I was of course, referring with all due respect to our resident Leagle Beagles who offer their advice to those who post here completely for free and without any expectations of engagement of their paid services. Of course if in the words of Shyster in the stickied post
    -Do answer questions only if you know the answer.
    -Do include a cite if the answer is not irrefutable common knowledge.

Not knowing conclusively anyone who has that irrefutable knowledge aside from our resident lawyers I chose not to guess any spew names onto the post.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Rules and categories exist for a reason. Why not categorize things appropriately when the option exists? In this situation, there is a certain category for such questions of a legal nature, hence the suggestion to move the post to the legal forum. Hopefully you can appreciate that the moderators of this website have made an accommodation for these particular types of inquiries. If you were not informed previously, I hope that you are now duly apprised of the formalities of Internet debate. Please adjust your responses accordingly.

People searching for the answer to this would search in the legal subforum.