Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idiot Scratch

Called it an idiot scratch because of where it's located. Can't figure out what the guy was doing when it got scratched.
    If you look close, there's actually 3 scratches.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Marketplace Moderator
    You could have the frame sand blasted. Even with just a pattern or logo? That scratch would go away.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Called it an idiot scratch because of where it's located. Can't figure out what the guy was doing when it got scratched.
    I'd probably call it an idiot scratch also, the 3 scratches really show in the picture. Unfortunately I have no suggestions as I'd be afraid of making it worse.
    Hopefully you can find a satisfactory solution.

As much as I like the way the gun performs, & since I wasn't the IDIOT that scratched it,
    I'll just leave it alone. Still a great looking pistola !

This side is still perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Yes it is! it has character on the other side.

Get you some Mother's or Meguiars Metal Polish at Walmart or Autozone. Depending on how deep it is, it may not take it all out, but you can put a mirror finish on the entire weapon using it on a microfiber cloth and going nuts rubbing it. It's actually fun. You start rubbing a little spot and go "Holy Crap!" when you see it turn into a mirror. Doing the rest is just as satisfying.
    - Joe
    Last edited by joelansing; 01-24-2022 at 07:38 PM.

The bigger scratch is beyond the rubbing out stage. Pretty deep.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    FWIW, if you go the 3m pad route test in on an area under the grips first. The burgandy 3m pads leave a more scratchy finish on a S&W 629 barrel than what came from the factory. They also get finer as they get broken in. Tested it on a junk take off barrel some drunkard ruined trying to drill and tap, but I got a little used 629 for a song even when adding in $100 for the like new replacement barrel I got for it off of ebay.
    I did remove an idiot scratch on my Colt Defender using the White & lightest scotchbright. Gentle pressure and no circular motion at all. Slight back & forth action eased the scratch off the pistol. In the right light it was barely visible but most of the time you could not see it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Scratches.. Likely from letting a friend shoot it. Maybe Ejecting spent brass with the Cylinder not fully open ?

** joelansing mentioned: 'Meguiars'. It can really work some magic. Are some U Tube Vids showing Pro Detailers buffing out some rough looking chrome trim and rims, that end up looking like new. One Vid I seen they were using medium to extra fine polishing pads on a Angle Grinder, because there was no 'Grain'. On SS or Chrome that has 'Grain' they did it all by hand buffing..... With the Grain. Google Search: The Best Way to Remove Scratches from Stainless Steel

Good Luck,
    Charlie-Painter777

Just going to live with it. I didn't do it so it only bothers me a little bit. Last time I shot it, I too think it was caused by the star wheel.
    Pretty hard to do. Guess that's why I called it an idiot scratch.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast