Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Dumb Pistol Lower Question

This question has probably been asked before, but can I buy a Pistol lower and then put a 16 in upper on an AR? Do I have to send in a MSP copy once I mate the uppers? This whole thing is a convoluted mess of rules and laws. Thanks for your help.

MGO Member
    Yes, no.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    Yes, no.
    Correct, assuming the "pistol lower" never started off as a rifle lower.

If it did, turn the other way and look elsewhere.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    This question has probably been asked before, but can I buy a Pistol lower and then put a 16 in upper on an AR? Do I have to send in a MSP copy once I mate the uppers? This whole thing is a convoluted mess of rules and laws. Thanks for your help.
    Lowers that come without a upper on them are neither pistols or rifles, they are "other". Therefore you can put whatever upper you want on it. However, if you put a rifle upper and a stock on it first it's a rifle always. If you make it a pistol first, you can then make it a rifle and back into a pistol whenever you want.

As for registering it as pistol. Technically you are supposed to register it within 10 days transferring a pistol. However, some people would argue that since making a pistol is not transferring it there is no legal way to register a pistol you make.

Then there is the question that if you have 10 days to register a pistol from the time you make it, and during that time you make it into a rifle, does the 10 days even apply if it's a rifle and does the 10 days reset when you make it back into a pistol? Could you then make it into a rifle every ten days and start the 10 day waiting period over when you make it back into a pistol? Convoluted mess of rules and laws indeed.
    Last edited by Garymac; 01-16-2022 at 05:27 PM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Egads. Thanks for the replies Gents.