Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Gun Recommendation

I'm thinking about picking up a .22 rimfire AR to shoot Steel Challenge with. What are you using?

Dedicated CMMG upper. Very fun and accurate. My go to rabbit hunting gun is an AR pistol with 4" barrel in .22lr

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Ruger 10-22 with Boyd’s stock. I am getting into it on the cheap so I thought about going with a S&W 15/22 but was disappointed with the lack of upgrade ability. If you are on Facebook look for a group called rimfire race guns. If I was going to spend some money on an AR style I would look at a crazy Ivan or the Tippmann. Bring what you have to a match and look at what others are shooting. Matches in Howell at every other weekend.

I am a Forum User
    We have an excellent ruger 10/22 Facebook club for Michigan. TONS of great advice on super tuning the 10/22 for accuracy there as well as a Ruger 10/22 aftermarket supplier/vendor in attendance located in Grand Rapids called "Petes Pillars". Pete saved my bacon a couple years ago when family from Sacramento was coming to shoot and the extractor on my take down 10/22 gave up the ghost. Pete hand carried an Extractor for me to Cedar Springs. The facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/688325568627875

I am a Forum User
    Agreed - CMMG kit is a blast! Keep your waxed ammo warm in your pocket shooting in the winter.

I am a Forum User
    I recently bought a Bear Creek upper, very happy with it and it is accurate.
    Upon first firing I had a issue, called them actually got a person on the phone.
    If I needed to send it in just get a RMA#

My Hammer pin walked out was the problem..

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/

.22 LR, 16" Parkerized Heavy Barrel 1:16 Twist 15" MLOK Rail|Branded Side Charging AR-22 Upper (Gen 2) w/ 10 rd Magazine|New MLOK

SKU 274NB-UASCH22LHB16116P-15M3
    $289.99

QUOTE=juicemon;3339430]I'm thinking about picking up a .22 rimfire AR to shoot Steel Challenge with. What are you using?[/QUOTE]

I am a Forum User
    I use an M&P 15-22

I am a Forum User
    I recently did a small comparison of an M&P 15-22 & a Ruger 10-22 on this site, many owners that did a similar comparison had the same results.
    With a variety of high cap mags available for the 10-22, it's greater accuracy, amount of accessories available, and lower initial cost,
    the Ruger is a better choice.. Unless you really want an AR format .22 .

I even have a couple of 50 rnd mags for my 10-22 (work flawlessly, as long as they're loaded carefully & properly)

I am a Forum User
    If you plan on competing in other areas where you’d use an AR-15 I’d recommend a 15-22 since all the manipulation etc is the same and better for consistency. You don’t need tight groups for steel challenge. Are you planning on hitting DSC for them this year? If you haven’t bought a rifle by then you can try one of mine (have 2).

I am a Forum User
    If you really want a rimfire AR platform call John Scandale @ Keystone Accuracy. His uppers use a modified CMMG kit and he does the barrel work with an integral feed ramp and match chamber on a 16 twist green mountain blank. I had one when I was chasing leg points and the thing was brutally precise. Like I could place at the top of the heap shooting 50’ indoor prone smallbore precise. If you know how tough that discipline is you will understand.