Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    The dealer is full of it. There's no legal requirement for what they're asking. Honestly, take your business elsewhere.

You can however go to your local PD and request everything that was in your name, however the original form isn't kept.
    This is one of the reasons that I had you ship a few guns for me, Center Mass wouldn't ship anything unless I had the ORIGINAL purchase permit. I offered to go to the local PD and have them print out the registration paperwork that shows that I handed in an RI60 for that gun, they said that doesn't work. One of the many reasons I don't go there anymore sadly.

I’ve been told some dealers have been burnt on trades when the guns have turned up later being stolen and that is the reason they want proof of ownership.
    I understand both sides of the coin but, realize not everyone keeps their old papers or has lost them in fires, moves etc. it’s another good reason for dropping registration
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    This is the dumbest shhh I've ever heard. Our states laws are infringing enough without supposed '2A businesses' pulling this crap.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I’ve been told some dealers have been burnt on trades when the guns have turned up later being stolen and that is the reason they want proof of ownership.
    I understand both sides of the coin but, realize not everyone keeps their old papers or has lost them in fires, moves etc. it’s another good reason for dropping registration
    That sounds good on paper and probably gives them the warm fuzzies but anybody can make, then print out, a fake RI-060 (purchaser copy) in under 2 minutes on the internet.

Not likely someone that has a legal gun to trade in would do but if the guy stole the gun, then making a bogus RI-060 is right up his/her alley.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    That sounds good on paper and probably gives them the warm fuzzies but anybody can make, then print out, a fake RI-060 (purchaser copy) in under 2 minutes on the internet.

Not likely someone that has a legal gun to trade in would do but if the guy stole the gun, then making a bogus RI-060 is right up his/her alley.
    Especially now that the new RI60's don't require SELLER signature, just buyer, you can literally just walk out to your car and fill one out in 10 seconds and hand it to the gun store.

Not sure that whole "guns have turned out to be stolen" excuse is valid, considering the fact that you take the drivers license of people who sell/trade/ship/buy guns from you, so you'll always know who to go after if it turns out to be stolen.

An Ri60 doesn't protect you anymore, it just annoys your customers.

I am a Forum User
    I thought it used to be that you had to retain the RI-060 copy for 30 days. Now i see it says on the RI-060 form this :
    "The Purchaser shall return the Licensing Authority Copy to the Sheriff’s Office or
    Local Police Department within 10 days of purchase or transfer. The purchaser shall
    retain the Purchaser Copy. "

MGO Board of Directors

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422a

28.422a (3) (in part):
    The purchaser may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the record. However, the person is not required to have the record in his or her possession while carrying, using, possessing, or transporting the pistol after this period.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

As others have stated, original RI-60 means nothing and would only work if I were the original owner who bought it from a dealer new.
    Had I purchased that pistol from another MI resident, you have no idea the lineage. So, yeah, here's the original RI-60, but turns out the previous owner bought it from a guy who had stolen it.
    Crap like this and one-person FFLs who collect tax for a transfer just make it more and more of a hassle to enjoy this pastime.
    Oh, and Fudds, too. Can't have a post without bringing up those mouthbreathers.
    Last edited by pscipio03; 02-07-2022 at 09:33 PM.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

Nazi dealers that ask "papers please" should be avoided.
    They support gun control.

I am a Forum User
    There are also those of us that are transplants from other states (PA and VA specifically) which don't have an RI60 or equivalent...
    It's a ******** policy and I would avoid doing further business with them too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast