Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Question Is there specific ammo requirement for EoTech XPS2 300?

Hello! Long time reader, first-time poster,

I'm finishing my build for a .300 blackout AR and I finally got an EoTech XPS2 300. As I prepare to purchase ammo for it, I'm trying to find information from those before me.

Is there a recommended ammo grain for using this optic to maximize accuracy for the two dots?

If I zero with 145g will that have an impact on the subsonic round used? i.e 145g with 20g Or if 150g sonic is used, I should use 220g subsonic? Or does it not matter at all?

Does the grain of round determine the elevation difference for the 2 dots used when swapping sonic to subsonic? If I can only zero to one round, say the 145g, how do I know which sub to use in order to maintain the proper zero with different ammo.

I hope I'm explaining this constructively, please ask questions if this isn't making sense but I have not found anything online about this. Maybe it doesn't matter at all?

Thanks, everybody!

I believe the dots are set set for 220gr subs, might be mistaken though.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I know subs come in 200gr and 220gr. If I use one, will the supersonics need to be a corresponding gr as well? I feel like this could all be avoided if the 2 dots were independently adjustable. Hmm

Any bullet with a similar BC and velocity should work.
    Keep in mind the dots are regulated according to a computer plot and any variation from the input will change the results. I’d look at the lower dot as an close estimate of impact as long as the upper dot is properly sighted in. Short barrels, longer barrels, different makes of bullet/ammo all will have an effect. There is no “one size fits all” in ballistics.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SirAndrew View Post
    Hello! Long time reader, first-time poster,

I'm finishing my build for a .300 blackout AR and I finally got an EoTech XPS2 300. As I prepare to purchase ammo for it, I'm trying to find information from those before me.

Is there a recommended ammo grain for using this optic to maximize accuracy for the two dots?

If I zero with 145g will that have an impact on the subsonic round used? i.e 145g with 20g Or if 150g sonic is used, I should use 220g subsonic? Or does it not matter at all?

Does the grain of round determine the elevation difference for the 2 dots used when swapping sonic to subsonic? If I can only zero to one round, say the 145g, how do I know which sub to use in order to maintain the proper zero with different ammo.

I hope I'm explaining this constructively, please ask questions if this isn't making sense but I have not found anything online about this. Maybe it doesn't matter at all?

Thanks, everybody!
    From the EOTech manual that came with mine.

"Designed for both subsonic and supersonic rounds, the reticle features two laser-illuminated 1 MOA dots and a 68 MOA circle. It allows the shooter to zero either subsonic or supersonic rounds. The center red dot allows aiming for subsonic rounds at 50 yards and supersonic rounds at 200 yards. The lower red dot allows aiming for subsonic rounds at 150 yards and supersonic rounds at 300 yards"

Just keep in mind that that only holds true if your bullet & velocity matches what the sight was calibrated to. (mine is not real close on the subs but somewhat close on the supers)

So just zero the center dot to your liking with both supers & subs then go shoot the other dot (with the ammo you have or want to use) at the longer distance you desire & see where it hits. (most AR's with heavy subs are not going to give you a great group at 150 yards anyhow).

I pretty well zero mine with supersonics as I typically don't shoot subsonics much over 50-75 yards as they are not good for much after that distance.

Don't pick you ammo based on the sight dot settings, pick it on effectiveness & usefulness of the rounds then zero it for those bullets on the center dot then figure out your hold overs or unders for those at the ranges you choose.

I am a Forum User
    Ah I see. Thank you for clarifying for me! I'll stick to my 145gr and 220gr with that 50yd zero and see what I come up with. Thank you again for your time writing!