Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Winchester Model 94 32 Win Special

I just purchased a Model 94 in 32 WS. best I can tell it’s a 1941, serial number is 117XXXX. The rifle is fairly clean with normal for the vintage handling wear, but no significant damage or pitting. I made up two blanks to test the firing mechanism, both went pop just fine. I paid 550 for the rifle and the vintage leather case that it was in. I am happy with it for that price. I want to reload for this rifle, is there anything that I should or shouldn’t do with a rifle of this vintage? I confidentially reload for my modern (1970’s and newer) firearms but want to be safe for this old girl. Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

Thanks

Josh

I’ve an old M94 of 1920+ vintage in 32 spcl that my dad worked up a load for years ago of 30.5 gr of 3031 with a Hornady 170 gr FP. I’ve shot deer with it as did dad and at ranges the gun was designed for it works well and is as accurate as either of us could ever hold.
    Be aware the gun and cartridge are both designed around lower pressures then bolt or modern semi autos. The difference between min and max loads pretty much differ only -150 fps with this bullet. That means even hot rod ding is not going to gain much if anything as far as performance. Keep within the book and you will be fine. IMR3031, H4895, BLc2 powders should all work fine or another in a similar burn range. Bullet shape and COL are important for reliable feeding.
    I have neck sized my brass loading with an old Lee loader and got away with it for a couple loadings before I needed to full size, but would avoid it and just FL size all my brass. I never saw a difference in accuracy and stiff chambering was a pain when the rifle decided I’d skipped it enough.

Enjoy! ��
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Awesome, thanks for the tips on reloading. I bought the Hornady 165gr FTX as that’s all I could find available. I have a good selection of powder listed for 32 WS. I will be happy to plink around and take it out once or twice to the woods.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    what kind of condition was that gun? Looks like you scored a nice one as all the pre 64 94's i've seen are going for well above that price.