Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

AK 47 Build Party Info Needed

Hello,

I'm interested in finishing a Parts kit. I've heard if build party's in Michigan. I'm looking for information on any up coming events.

I'm in Battle Creek. Will travel

Any help is appreciated

MGO Member
    You might want to contact the gentleman who mentioned building his Yugo in the thread below this one. Sounds like he's got the parts and knowledge necessary for what you're looking to do.

Outside of that, Brian at Dinzag arms in clio (not exactly close, but not too far), would be a good source of info too. Hes well known across the internet as an AK builder expert.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Build party's are kind of a thing of the past...kits got expensive, and OG barrels banned. Good luck finding one, I wish they were more common, I have a few kits I need built. Ken Kubin of Global Military Gunsmithing would be my recommendation if you're looking for someone to do the work for you.
    http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com/

I haven't heard of any build parties for years. They're still legal as long as no one pays anything, none of the equipment is owned by a business which was aimed at the 80% AR15 market where guys were buying them and then running them through a CNC machine owned by a business. The barrel import ban also took a big hit on them for AK47's since now you also need to populate the barrel and headspace which adds more time to the process. This article gives a pretty good rundown of what happened.
    https://blog.princelaw.com/2015/01/0...-of-80-lowers/

With some effort you can complete a AK receiver with a bare minumum of tools but it's more involved. I built my first two with access to a drill press and welder, vise, files and hammers. It's easier if you have a welder, drill press and a 20t hydraulic press to make some better tools like the bending jig and barrel press and rivet tools. But you can bend a flat with a Grasshopper bending jig with supplies from the hardware store. Populate a barrel with a length of grade 8 allthread, open end wrenches and pipe as well as push the barrel in. Gear pullers work well to remove barrels or barrel stubs also. Rivets can be set with a ball peen hammer or a rivet set and hammer. A bolt cutter rivet tool is also easy to make if you have a welder and drill press. Other sites like the AKfiles or Gunco have stickies on how to complete a kit from caveman simple to the latest commercial jigs and tools. If you're unable to find a build party and are willing to put it together, start a thread on it and people will help guide you along.