Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

CPL Background Check

Hi all, searching for a bit of advice here. Was wondering which system is used for the carry license check.

I'm sure if your reading this, now you want to know why. Well, as a disclosure, I was denied on NICS because of an old case. I believe, according to what they said was the reason(which was very vague) that it was because of a case that was sec 7411, but never closed out. I believe this because I did a local license which was accepted, after 6 days. When they called they said the wait was "because of a 2004 case, that should have been closed but wasn't'.

So..I've called a lawyer. He CAN fix it, he says. However, it will be a bunch of cash. Which I don't have. What I am wondering, is what are the chances of being ok on receiving a carry license? I will, surely, one day resolve the NICS issue. But for now, would be fine with buying used and carrying, if I can. Thanks for any advice. Sorry if any of this is woefully uninformed, I am learning all I can to be a responsible owner. Thanks again.

-Anyuuho

It is the same FBI system that is checked for you purchase permit. If you passed the purchase permit. You should pass the CPL. Which then will solve some of your issue. As you will be able to purchase something used without issue. However, a NIC check is now required for CPL holders for purchases from anyone with a FFL.
    If you support the perversion of America. Then, you are the problem.

I'm Your Huckleberry

CPLs are based on state law. NICS is federal law. There are things that will cause you to fail NICS yet allow you to obtain a CPL. The attorney at your CPL class will be the one to ask about the specifics. If your CPL class doesn't have an actual attorney teaching the law, find a different CPL class. You'll want to ask an attorney that actually works with gun owners. Don't expect a patent attorney to know Michigan CPL law.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

CPLs are based on state law
    Yes, part of the back ground check uses the NIC system.
    If you support the perversion of America. Then, you are the problem.

I'm Your Huckleberry

MGO Member
    Expungement case are long and difficult

I am a Forum User
    Thank you both for the advice. Yea as far as I have read nothing about the law says I shouldn’t be able to carry, but after failing NiCS wanted to be sure before I went and did the classes. Anybody aware of classes with attorneys in house, in SE/Macomb area? Was considering Prime because they have a trauma first aid class as well, however they dont have any days on the schedule. Thanks again.

MGO Member
    Did you try contacting the court or prosecutors office where the case was? It "could" be something as simple as someone failed to file a form to close it out.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    I have not, YET. I will be doing that soon, in order to have all the info I need when I do resolve the NICS. But what I hear you saying is, I could not need to. Which would be cool.

-A

Is there a log in the road ?
    WHY was it not closed ? Could be simple as said ^^^^^^^
    That is the first item to research either by you or have your attorney find out.
    Cheapest simplest first !

And you can find the attorneys that assist in CPL classes . . . . contact the provider of the class. OR
    Search for attorney that specializes in Firearm related issues. Have him check the non closure issue also.
    Do the homework first . . . . you don't want the court trip without doing the homework.

be safe out there

Better check to be sure you don’t have to find it solo there are
    Plenty of lawyers that would be happy to help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast