Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyuuho View Post
    which system is used for the carry license check.
    Where you recently denied a CPL?

I am a Forum User
    Not yet, waiting to see if I’m awarded one. Will update what the results are here when I fond out.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    CPLs are based on state law. NICS is federal law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailstorm View Post
    CPLs are based on state law
    Yes, part of the back ground check uses the NIC system.
    The BATFE requires MSP to verify through NICS that "the (CPL) applicant is not prohibited under federal law from possessing or transporting a firearm [and] to verify through the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases that the (CPL) applicant is not an illegal alien or a nonimmigrant alien."

However, the MSP was failing to do this, which is exactly why the BATFE rescinded the Brady exemption for MI CPL holders back on 03 MAR 2020.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    The BATFE requires MSP to verify through NICS that "the (CPL) applicant is not prohibited under federal law from possessing or transporting a firearm [and] to verify through the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases that the (CPL) applicant is not an illegal alien or a nonimmigrant alien."

However, the MSP was failing to do this, which is exactly why the BATFE rescinded the Brady exemption for MI CPL holders back on 03 MAR 2020.
    Nothing to do with the fact that the background check for a CPL COULD be over 5 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Nothing to do with the fact that the background check for a CPL COULD be over 5 years old?
    Or the fact that pot use is no longer a crime in Michigan and law doesn't report it anymore nor consider it a prohibitive entry on a record.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    So you are saying if I was denied NICS I should be also denied CPL? How then could I receive a license to purchase locally? Not saying your wrong, just want to be ready for whatever is in store. Also, are you saying if any fed ever searched me I would be at fault for owning/possessing even though I’ve been licensed by the state to possess/own? I’m sorry the discrepancies are confusing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Not according to the advisory issued by the BATFE to all FFLs on 03 MAR 2020 that eliminated the Brady exemption for Michigan CPL holders.

"Specifically, ATF learned that CPLs were and continue to be issued to applicants who were likely prohibited due to a conviction for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9)), and to habitual marijuana users (18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3)). Although possession and use of marijuana is not unlawful under Michigan law, marijuana remains a "controlled substance" under Federal law, and those using marijuana are prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3)."

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyuuho View Post
    So you are saying if I was denied NICS I should be also denied CPL? How then could I receive a license to purchase locally? Not saying your wrong, just want to be ready for whatever is in store. Also, are you saying if any fed ever searched me I would be at fault for owning/possessing even though I’ve been licensed by the state to possess/own? I’m sorry the discrepancies are confusing.
    I'm not saying anybody should or should not be denied. I'm just stating the two specific reasons that the BATFE gave to FFLs as their basis for rescinding the exemption from NICS background checks on 03 MAR 2020 that they had previously extended to Michigan CPL holders on 26 MAR 2006.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I'm not saying anybody should or should not be denied. I'm just stating the two specific reasons that the BATFE gave to FFLs as their basis for rescinding the exemption from NICS background checks on 03 MAR 2020 that they had previously extended to Michigan CPL holders on 26 MAR 2006.
    I see. Thank you for the input it really is ridiculous we’re losing our rights bit by bit. I truly believe that there is no reason, under the law the way it is written, I should be denied. However I am ready for the worst. It has been 22 days no answer. Will update here as soon as I receive one.

I am a Forum User
    UPDATE: It is 3/2 and today I received my CPL. I sent in for it on 2/1, Macomb. Thank you all for the advice, I hope this is useful for anybody else who has concerns such as these.

-A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast