Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

HB 5677 of 2022 - Require gun lock, case and safety pamphlet be included with every gun sale

HB 5677 of 2022
    Weapons: other; gun locks and a pamphlet on gun safety; require to be included with every point of sale for gun purchases. Amends sec. 15 of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.435).
    Last Action: 1/19/2022 bill electronically reproduced 01/19/2022
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This bill would extend the requirement for FFLs to provide a gun lock, case and safety pamphlet with every gun sale to private sellers, as well.

Who is responsible for printing the pamphlets? The seller (downloaded from the internet)? LE Offices?

I guess any of our FFLs can answer that one? Where do you get yours?
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Next will be the requirement for sellers to video record themselves reading this pamphlet to the purchaser and obtaining their recorded response that they acknowledge and understand what was read to them.

Fricking rabbit hole.
    Lighten up Francis.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    This bill would extend the requirement for FFLs to provide a gun lock, case and safety pamphlet with every gun sale to private sellers, as well.

Who is responsible for printing the pamphlets? The seller (downloaded from the internet)? LE Offices?

I guess any of our FFLs can answer that one? Where do you get yours?
    We get them from the ATF, paid for by tax dollars.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    Next will be the requirement for sellers to video record themselves reading this pamphlet to the purchaser and obtaining their recorded response that they acknowledge and understand what was read to them.

Fricking rabbit hole.
    Right now, you can sell a long gun, private sale, individual to individual...the seller must not knowingly sell to a prohibited person. "Hey, is there any reason you are prohibited from possessing a firearm?" "No." "OK, $500 please!"

This bill would require private sellers to have a bill of sale and a sign-off that they received the pamphlet, case and lock...and the seller must maintain the paperwork for 6 years. Failure to do so results in a $500 93 day misdemeanor for the first offense...and a $5,000 2 year felony for 3rd or more offense(s).

It establishes a paper trail...or else.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    We get them from the ATF, paid for by tax dollars.
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    This bill would require private sellers to have a bill of sale and a sign-off that they received the pamphlet, case and lock...and the seller must maintain the paperwork for 6 years. Failure to do so results in a $500 93 day misdemeanor for the first offense...and a $5,000 2 year felony for 3rd or more offense(s).

It establishes a paper trail...or else.
    I wonder just how many would bother. There could be an awful lot of lawbreakers.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

MGO Member
    So you’d have to buy a gun case for everybody you sell a gun to? And a lock? Did these folks think through this before drafting this bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    So you’d have to buy a gun case for everybody you sell a gun to? And a lock? Did these folks think through this before drafting this bill?
    They never really think these things through, they are driven by a "feeling" that something needs to be done.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    They never really think these things through, they are driven by a "feeling" that something needs to be done.
    Most of the people writing or pushing these laws simply could not care less about us.