Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

S&W M&P 15-22 vs Ruger 10-22

another (much shorter) comparison between (2) semi -auto .22 rimfire rifles.

The contenders:
    The Ruger 10-22 I've had for many years, put a lot of rds thru it, more than any other 22 rifle I've owned.
    Have not shot it very much the past 10 or more years.. been shooting larger,more powerful rifle cartridges.
    Has a (? brand) spring kit for the trigger, otherwise it's a mostly stock 10-22.
    Trigger spring kit was installed so many years ago, can't remember brand.
    Ruger has had several different scopes, currently wearing a Rimfire by Burris 3X9 X 40
    also has a Butler Creek pistol grip folding stock I put on it, over 25 yrs. ago.
    Think it was called another brand,when I bought it.. maybe Eaton (?) before it was purchased or taken over by Butler Creek?
    as I had a bipod, on the S&W, I used a plastic rest, that is there for anyone's use, at my club's range.
    it is similar to this rest :https://www.ebay.com/p/2254424448?iid=392992935399

The S&W M&P 15 -22 was purchased new back in Feb. 2014. having become appreciative of all the AR format offers,
    I looked @ various options for an Ar-15 style .22 , including drop in conversion kits for .223/5.56 AR's,
    Uppers w/BCG's to attach to Ar-15 lowers, & the various brands of AR copies, made as close to the AR format as possible.

Decided the S&W M&P15-22 seemed to be the best choice for me, so bought one.
    Came with 30 rnd mag..which is too long for shooting off a bench, fortunately I discovered S&W makes a 10 rnd mag that works much better.
    I mounted a couple of scopes on this as well, is now wearing a Simmons 4X12 X40 8-Point scope.
    I installed a J&P reduced power trigger spring kit, shortly after getting the rifle, to improve & lighten the trigger pull, (it helps)
    This rifle has a stud adapter added to a lower rail, so I could attach an inexpensive bipod, which was used for the test.

the test :
    consisted of 5 rds. fired from both rifles @ 50' (max. distance @ the indoor range)
    ammo was the same box of CCI Blazer 22 Long Rifle ammo.. with a 40gr. waxed lead bullet.
    As Rifles were COLD from sitting in my truck overnight, after the initial 5 rds. I let the rifles rest & warm up, sitting on the bench for approx. 45 min.
    I wondered if the rifles were cold, it may affect their accuracy.
    Then, I fired 5 rds. from the S&W, 5 Rds from the Ruger, back to another 5 rds from the S&W & back to another 5 rds from the Ruger.
    1st 2 pics show the 1st 5 rds. shot @ each target.
    2nd 2 pics are all 15 rds. fired @ targets.
    last pic os a close up of the "winner"

I left off all the disclaimers I mentioned in my comparison of my (3) 380 pistols, but same info holds true.
    The test is what it is,.. different day, different ammo, different shooter, etc.. results might be different.
    I do find it interesting, & informative when I do these type comparisons.
    Makes my range time more fun, too IMO.

I am a Forum User
    1st 5 shots S&W 15-22 https://i.postimg.cc/6p7Nb27t/S-W-M-P-15-22.jpg

1st 5 shots Ruger 10-22 https://i.postimg.cc/QdRZ2855/Rug-10-22.jpg

15 shots S&W 15-22 https://i.postimg.cc/jdSTNktW/M-P-15-22-2.jpg

15 shots Ruger 10-22 https://i.postimg.cc/QxY3qkdf/Rug-10-22-far.jpg

close up of Ruger 10-22 https://i.postimg.cc/05fxzqRR/Rug-10-22-close.jpg

I sorta expected the Ruger might shoot better..it has a nicer trigger, IMO..
    but didn't expect the difference to be as pronounced as it turned out.

The bullseye is 1" in dia. the white box is 7/8".. aim point was crosshairs in the center of white box.

( and guess I need to adjust the S&W scope a little better )
    Last edited by joepistol; 01-20-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Had two of the M&P 15s a few years back, similar results to yours, patterns instead of groups.
    Bone stock 10-22 will outshoot them with all the ammo I tried. Still fun guns, my kids loved them even though they each have a 10-22.
    Had 10 or so 10-22s over the years, Regulars, Magnums, hvy bbls both factory and aftermarket, Volquartsen builds, 17M2 .
    Down to three now, Heavy bbl KIDD build (shoots bugholes) a Checkered Walnut Rifle and a Hogue stocked carbine with factory bbls cut and threaded by JPGRIPS.com.
    All Volq fire controls in them.
    They all like CCI STD and strangely enough Blazer Lead 40 as backup. The KIDD really shines with ELEY stuff I got from the CMP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

MGO Member
    I have one of each and my results are similar to yours. The M&P 15-22 I've only had for a year and it shoots patterns and not groups. It's also launched it's extractor once when new from an out of battery discharge. I had one several years ago that was a good shooter but the current one definitely is not.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    another (much shorter) comparison between (2) semi -auto .22 rimfire rifles.

The contenders:
    The Ruger 10-22 I've had for many years, put a lot of rds thru it, more than any other 22 rifle I've owned.
    Have not shot it very much the past 10 or more years.. been shooting larger,more powerful rifle cartridges.
    Has a (? brand) spring kit for the trigger, otherwise it's a mostly stock 10-22.
    Trigger spring kit was installed so many years ago, can't remember brand.
    Ruger has had several different scopes, currently wearing a Rimfire by Burris 3X9 X 40
    also has a Butler Creek pistol grip folding stock I put on it, over 25 yrs. ago.
    Think it was called another brand,when I bought it.. maybe Eaton (?) before it was purchased or taken over by Butler Creek?
    as I had a bipod, on the S&W, I used a plastic rest, that is there for anyone's use, at my club's range.
    it is similar to this rest :https://www.ebay.com/p/2254424448?iid=392992935399

The S&W M&P 15 -22 was purchased new back in Feb. 2014. having become appreciative of all the AR format offers,
    I looked @ various options for an Ar-15 style .22 , including drop in conversion kits for .223/5.56 AR's,
    Uppers w/BCG's to attach to Ar-15 lowers, & the various brands of AR copies, made as close to the AR format as possible.

Decided the S&W M&P15-22 seemed to be the best choice for me, so bought one.
    Came with 30 rnd mag..which is too long for shooting off a bench, fortunately I discovered S&W makes a 10 rnd mag that works much better.
    I mounted a couple of scopes on this as well, is now wearing a Simmons 4X12 X40 8-Point scope.
    I installed a J&P reduced power trigger spring kit, shortly after getting the rifle, to improve & lighten the trigger pull, (it helps)
    This rifle has a stud adapter added to a lower rail, so I could attach an inexpensive bipod, which was used for the test.

the test :
    consisted of 5 rds. fired from both rifles @ 50' (max. distance @ the indoor range)
    ammo was the same box of CCI Blazer 22 Long Rifle ammo.. with a 40gr. waxed lead bullet.
    As Rifles were COLD from sitting in my truck overnight, after the initial 5 rds. I let the rifles rest & warm up, sitting on the bench for approx. 45 min.
    I wondered if the rifles were cold, it may affect their accuracy.
    Then, I fired 5 rds. from the S&W, 5 Rds from the Ruger, back to another 5 rds from the S&W & back to another 5 rds from the Ruger.
    1st 2 pics show the 1st 5 rds. shot @ each target.
    2nd 2 pics are all 15 rds. fired @ targets.
    last pic os a close up of the "winner"

I left off all the disclaimers I mentioned in my comparison of my (3) 380 pistols, but same info holds true.
    The test is what it is,.. different day, different ammo, different shooter, etc.. results might be different.
    I do find it interesting, & informative when I do these type comparisons.
    Makes my range time more fun, too IMO.
    My 15/22 (old as it was one of the first ones sold) shot pretty bad as received, with no wind it shot pretty consistent 1.75"-2.5" groups (with a few fliers) at 50 yards using CCI standard ammo & shot 1.5"-1.75" groups with high end target .22 ammo with fewer fliers. This was using a high end scope that I could set the parallax to match the distance shot (with non parallax adjustable scope groups were even larger & slightly more erratic. As a controller I would shoot either my re-barreled 10/22 in a heavy solid chassis or one of my precision .22 target guns.
    My 10/22 with a high end scope will shoot to just under 3/8" at 50 yards (premium ammo) & my precision bolt .22 target with premium (expensive) ammo will shoot sub 1/4" groups (one hole) on a windless day at 50 yards.

I did a LOT of work on my 15/22 with mixed results, re-torqued barrel nut, polished barrel bore, re-crowned barrel, re-worked bolt to allow a tighter rim pinch (as original it was very sloppy), reworked ammo feeding as it shot better single round fed than through the magazine (was distorting the bullet during feeding), went to a heavier hammer spring to hold bolt closed longer during firing, lots more but the above are the basics.

After all the above work I got it to shoot to 1"-1.25" on a good day with premium ammo (still a couple of fliers occasionally). Actually shot better with a suppressor on it as it seems to need more frontal barrel weight

The darn thing is still ultra critical to how it is supported or held when shooting as ANY force added while shooting will drive the groups crazy, it needs a soft forend support that is ALWAYS placed at the same spot on the forend, no shoulder contact, almost (or no) handgrip contact (nothing that will bend or distort the soft plastic chassis). Consistency is absolutely required for anything resembling a group.

In my opinion the 15/22 is made for offhand shooting for practice or fun but nowhere near a good bench shooter.

Now I do have a dedicated .22 AR made with a CMMG real .22 barreled upper on a full alloy AR lower that will shoot to under 1" at 50 yards with decent ammo & shoot to .75" (or even under) at 50 yards with premium ammo on a windless day.

I am a Forum User
    I have a very early 15-22 that shoots great. Holds good groups with quality ammo and feeds anything without problem. However I don't think they were really ever intended to shoot tight groups off a bench.

I am a Forum User
    Decided to post another pic showing a group I shot the day after I did the comparison between the 2 rifles.
    I had adjusted the scope on the S&W M&P 15-22, put up another target (same distance, same ammo)
    and shot a group @ the white box,taped up the holes, then another group @ the bullseye.
    Had better results after scope was fine tuned.
    I had adjusted the scope for 50 yds, for when shooting it outdoors.
    Still, not as good as the Ruger, but better.