Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    There is a lot of good tested data for loading the 308 and few other rounds to sub sonic levels which produce similar ballistics to the mentioned cartridges. The 300 Blk out is another good example. If allowing low vel bottleneck cartridges to the list I can see a manufacture offering them to the market, it then becomes a nightmare in the field to differentiate between “normal” and subs.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Account Closed Forum User
    Stupid laws. You can hunt with a .444 Marlin or 45-70 in a handgun but not a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    Stupid laws. You can hunt with a .444 Marlin or 45-70 in a handgun but not a rifle?
    No one has ever said the people that that make our laws have any experience or knowledge of the things they are regulating

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I think the current restrictions are stupid and should be dropped whole hog, but I also agree that it will probably take more incremental steps. I don't like the idea of an all-inclusive list of allowed calibers, but taking a hybrid approach (eg, ANY 35 cal straight wall less than 1.8" PLUS a list of allowable bottle neck options like 30-30, 35 Rem, etc.) might be a bearable compromise for now. Alternatively, keep the current straight walled restrictions but drop the max case length restriction to bring in 45-70, 444 Marlin, etc.

I've also wondered if an Indiana-style approach might work as an incremental step, where bottle necked cartridges are allowed on private land but not on state land. That might need to come farther down the line, though, as a future incremental step.

Adding BCs to that chart so readers can "check the work" would be good, and I agree about adding a ballistic graph to better illustrate trajectories in a memorable way.

Alternatively, keep the current straight walled restrictions but drop the max case length restriction to bring in 45-70, 444 Marlin, etc.
    A max on velocity and bullet wt with no case length might work with straight walled cartridges. Something that would keep the 458 and some European cartridges off limits. It might also work with bottleneck cartridges like the 30-30 or 35 rem. Say a 2300 fps max on bottlenecks and allow them on private property to start

I like the suggestion of the Indiana type approach and opening it up on private land to test the waters if they're reluctant to open it up to the whole limited zone.

If going to a hybrid "what we've got now" and a list of also approved cartridges what all cartridges that would likely get approved would you put on that list. I'd like 30-30,32 special, 35Rem, 375win, 38-55, 444 Marlin, 45-70 for starters.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    It is a little discouraging, isn't it!?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I like the suggestion of the Indiana type approach and opening it up on private land to test the waters if they're reluctant to open it up to the whole limited zone.

If going to a hybrid "what we've got now" and a list of also approved cartridges what all cartridges that would likely get approved would you put on that list. I'd like 30-30,32 special, 35Rem, 375win, 38-55, 444 Marlin, 45-70 for starters.
    I’d add the 300BLK to the list for the AR guys

MGO Member
    I for one am glad to hear that the conversation has started to make a few changes. If enough people keep bringing this up we might get a little movement. So far I for one have heard no complaints or problems with the Straight wall usage?

.35 Rem, please.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast