Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

SCCY CPX-2 Slide Over-Extends Rearward and Sticks

Yes, I know the SCCY is a POS. I've been trying to get my wife into guns, and this was the only one she liked for me to buy her (based on looks, of course). I had hoped to make it at least serviceable, upgrading a bunch of parts with M-Carbo stuff (trigger, guide rod/spring, mag release, hammer), polishing feed ramp, etc. I did manage to get about 100 rounds through it, while working on fixing FTE/FTF issues.

On last trip to range, after one round, the slide got stuck in the rearward position. It was extended well beyond the normal position to engage the slide lock, and the front of the slide was gouging into the top of plastic frame. The slide/frame contact causes the slide to get stuck in the over-extended rear position. A bit of force on rear of slide will break it free and allow it to move forward. I checked everything out, put in a different guide rod/spring, but issue consistently happens now.

Does anyone have an idea on what is broken, that allows the slide to over-extend rearward? I'm thinking possibly a slide stop in the fire control unit has broken off. I wanted to try and fix it myself, if possible, before replacing all the upgrade parts with original and sending back to SCCY. Pictures are below.

Thanks!!

SCCY_1.jpg
    SCCY_2.jpg
    SCCY_3.jpg
    SCCY_4.jpg

Figured I would close-the-loop on this:

After disassembling the gun and mating the slide directly to the frame (no grip module), the cause was found to be the hammer strike face jamming on bottom of the slide. The plastic frame contact appears to have been secondary, possibly from skewed slide angle (e.g. tipping up at back from contact). I must have changed the hammer after all my other mods (before this issue), and mistakenly thought it previously ran fine with it.

As expected, the cause was an aftermarket part. The aftermarket hammer was the Galloway Precision "Short-Stroke" hammer. The Galloway hammer has a wider profile than the stock hammer, causing the strike face to sit higher when in "cocked" position, jamming up the slide at end of rearward travel. The section on bottom of the slide that contacts the hammer is slightly sloped, getting thicker towards the front (and sticking when fully rearward). I'll be contacting Galloway to see what they can do, maybe this was just a bad part.

Pictures are below for reference, in case someone else encounters the same problem:

SCCY_HammerComparison.jpg

SCCY_GallowayHammer_Rear.jpg

SCCY_OriginalHammer_Rear.jpg

SCCY_GallowayHammer_FrontGap.jpg

SCCY_OriginalHammer_FrontGap.jpg