Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-40 Krag

MGO Member

30-40 Krag

I have this old rifle in the safe. Don't know what it really is and if it has any value. Looks like the previous owner tried to sporter-ize it and added the scope.
    30-40 Krag ammo is like gold so I'm thinking I might sell it buts its hard to sell if I don't know what it really is, Springfield?. Don't have much of a rifle background. Any help is appreciated.

krag8.jpgkrag.jpg
    krag5.jpg

PM me for more pics.
    Last edited by rayfin; 03-02-2022 at 03:27 PM.
    NRA Life Member

It is a Springfield. the JSA brand is clear enough, that is the mark of Springfield Armory inspector Joseph S. Adams, who succeeded Springfield’s Master Armorer Samuel W. Porter in 1894. And from that mark the date is 1903.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    Thanks for the info.
    NRA Life Member

I am actually surprised that the Identifying mark didn't get sanded off when someone was playing around with carving the grip lines.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    I am actually surprised that the Identifying mark didn't get sanded off when someone was playing around with carving the grip lines.
    Yeah, custom hand checkering at its finest!! Its been in my family for at least 30 years that way. Looks as it did when my father got it carving and all. I think my father added the scope for deer hunting. The rifle along with a Remington Rand 1911 were given to him by a friend who didn't want guns in his house anymore. Any thoughts on value?
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayfin View Post
    Any thoughts on value?
    Sorry, that falls outside my abilities,

It would be worth more had nothing been done to it , but that ship sailed a long time ago. Take a look at what similar cut stocked sporterized Krags are selling for on GunBroker.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    It would be worth more had nothing been done to it , but that ship sailed a long time ago. Take a look at what similar cut stocked sporterized Krags are selling for on GunBroker.
    Will do. Thanks.
    NRA Life Member

I am a Forum User
    From a GunBroker Advanced Search of Completed Listings done tonight, using the Search Terms: Sporterized Krags brought up 37 Items Found.
    Some Sold, Some No Bids, Some Re-listed. All types of 'Sporterized Versions'.
    I can't attach links yet, but you'll find it.

On the Milsurps Forum there is a gentleman most often found on the Krag Forum who uses the Username: butlersrangers he's one of the best I've known when it comes to Krags and other Pre 1900 US and British Carbines.
    In his Profile he has a phone number listed for contact, Area Code 810. You could find him by Clicking the 'Community' button then see the drop downs and search 'Member List'. Or post this same inquiry there for other opinions. I'm a Advisory Panel Member there, He may recall me, feel free if you contact him to say Charlie-Painter777 from the M1 / M2 Carbine Forum referred you.

Again, Sorry I can't post the links to make it easier on you, but I'm still new here and paying my dues.

HTH,
    Charlie-Painter777

I am a Forum User
    From a GunBroker Advanced Search of Completed Listings done tonight, using the Search Terms: Sporterized Krags brought up 37 Items Found.
    Some Sold, Some No Bids, Some Re-listed. All types of 'Sporterized Versions'.
    I can't attach links yet, but you'll find it.

On the Milsurps Forum there is a gentleman most often found on the Krag Forum who uses the Username: butlersrangers he's one of the best I've known when it comes to Krags and other Pre 1900 US and British Carbines.
    In his Profile he has a phone number listed for contact, Area Code 810. You could find him by Clicking the 'Community' button then see the drop downs and search 'Member List'. Or post this same inquiry there for other opinions. I'm a Advisory Panel Member there, He may recall me, feel free if you contact him to say Charlie-Painter777 from the M1 / M2 Carbine Forum referred you.

Again, Sorry I can't post the links to make it easier on you, but I'm still new here and paying my dues.

HTH,
    Charlie-Painter777

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast