Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Revolver cylinder issue

So I bought a used Rossi (Taurus) .22 revolver. The cylinder locks in place when the hammer is back. The problem is two chambers can be reversed with finger pressure with the hammer down. It is not a free roll after closing the cylinder. Again lock up is fine with hammer back. Hearing that Taurus is infamous for over lubing everything, I want to just remove the grip and give it a good degreasing. I don't want to remove the side plate if possible. This gun looks barely used so it could have been shot without a through cleaning beforehand.
    I am not sure Rossi would fix it for free since it it is bought used.
    My question would be what cleaner would be best that wont hurt the blueing? Since lock up is fine with the trigger back, is it still safe to shoot this way?
    Would appreciate any experienced advice please. Thanks

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman2 View Post
    So I bought a used Rossi (Taurus) .22 revolver. The cylinder locks in place when the hammer is back. The problem is two chambers can be reversed with finger pressure with the hammer down. It is not a free roll after closing the cylinder. Again lock up is fine with hammer back. Hearing that Taurus is infamous for over lubing everything, This gun looks barely used so it could have been shot without a through cleaning beforehand.
    I purchased a new Rossi in .357 for my son's birthday, along with some snap caps and ammo. Few days later he said it was acting up. Said the cylinder was indeterminately hanging up while pulling back for Single action. Sometimes acting up in other ways he had trouble describing. Got out to the range and got off 6 shots with a gritty feeling trigger. Then it started hanging up. I read a bit about it on the Taurus Armed site. Found some with similar type issues that were finding grit inside. I gaged the cylinder and found it with in range. Being new I didn't want to, but pulled the side plate to not just find it dry as a bone but like others had reported full of the media grit they had prepped it with before applying the finish. I used that foaming cleaner (sorry don't recall the name) a few times on it and rinsed it out several types with plenty of sprayed CLP. Wiped the excess off as soon as possible o as not to effect the blued finish. Once back together it was smooth, thinking we were in business back to the range. Again about 6-8 shots in the cylinder was now jamming. Back home while measuring between cylinder and cone I found I could with just my thumbs push the cylinder all the way backward that it wouldn't open. While looking in to the problem, I found the front part of the bushing is made like spring fingers that bend in to grip the yoke, like a Star washer. The yoke has a groove in it and the fingers of the bushing press down into the groove to hold the cylinder in the proper place. If the fingers loose their spring tension or one or more fingers become bent or broken then the bushing will not lock into the groove, and hold the cylinder in place. I can feel the bushing fingers snap into the groove when I push the cylinder back into position but it takes very little force to push it back out. When it was off the rod groove I could rotate the cylinder a couple chambers. I just can't recall if the hammer was down or back when doing so. I ordered a new Star Washer and it cured the issue. But just our luck we found out it was part of a class action recall and sent it back. Nearly a year later we were told it wasn't going to be repaired and they gave us our choice of a Taurus .357, Don't recall the replacements model number.

Wish I could post Links but I'm new. If you go to Taurus Armed . net you'll find many that could walk you thru your issue.
    A Google search using rossi (taurus) revolver assembly instructions should pull up this from Taurus Armed . net: Taurus Revolver Disassembly - Pictorial Guide
    Once there you can see what your up against.
    I would look over the fit and movement with between the Hammer, Hand, Trigger, Transfer Bar and especially the Cylinder Stop. More than likely your issue will be found there.

Good Luck,
    Charlie-Painter777

ETA: The R and R Instructions are of a pre 2009 85 Ultra Lite. You'll find most Rossi / Taurus Revolvers pretty much the same.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for the website information. I do recall seeing that the .357 was part of a recall but the .22 was not. My plan is to clean the heck out of it and if that don't work then I will contact Rossi. I just dont want to ruin the bluing in the process.
    Guess I have some websites to study.
    Thanks again.

I am a Forum User
    A quick update. Wound up calling Rossi and they had me send the gun back for repair. Now they say they don't have the parts and are offering me a discount on any Rossi gun or to send the gun back. Why the heck would you send a potentially dangerous gun back? If it gets out of timing things could go wrong. I want a double action 22 revolver that they don't make anymore.....but their parent company Taurus does. I complained that they weren't honoring the lifetime manufacturing guarantee but they said Rossi only had a one year one. Rossi and Taurus share the same website and it looks to me like it should be covered for life. A supervisor is supposed to call me in a few days. Yep....send a faulty gun back with a bunch of documented correspondence, dont seem smart to me.
    Sorry...just venting a little.

I am a Forum User
    Friend of mine had a very similar experience with a Taurus 44mag. They shipped it back in pieces to him.

Joe