Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Howdy from Wayland! Can you help with my conundrum?

I'm a medically retired former auto tech and aircraft mechanic. Raised with firearms, hunters safety in highschool, but never never really got into hunting, although have helped process a fair share of deer.

Used to enjoy shooting skeet, but sold my 870, was to much for this worn out neck and shoulders. Been target shooting factory built pistols and ARs for a few years, have found this and various tinkering projects to be an indescribable form of therapy on many levels. Ironically tools of death have helped with the will to survive. I suspect others have found this to be true as well.

I have spent the last few weeks sifting through many pages in an attempt to clarify how I can serialize and register my 80% Glock style pistol projects before I start on any of them and am left even more confused. Everything from you can get a felony charge if filling forms out as seller and buyer(makes sense with the reading of the law) to don't even bother. Some even say NOT to contact police regarding this. While I respect others choices, and interpretations, I want my stuff identifiable in case of theft or loss. It's like a VIN number to me. I do not have a CPL at this point as the 8hr class is to long a day for me at this time.

I have five various kits, untouched, that I desire to have serialized (have obtained quotes for laser engraving) and "registered". I do not plan to sell these, but want to leave them to my brothers and nephews when I'm gone. I would like to at least get these serialized and "registered" before this rule stuff goes into effect in June, but want to make sure that if I pick my own numbers Im not screwing up, if the numbers need to be "issued" before engraving.

This seems to me, like a freight train of reality that is about to run over a lot of opinions and ideals, however well rooted and correct they may be. Thanks to any and all that can help with this. This is not intended to inflame a political issue, I'm genuinely seeking a path for my own projects. Thanks Again!

Howdy, I cannot help with your questions, but welcome to MGO from a local neighbor.
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Hello and welcome to the MGO forums! Great first post and introduction.

I’d kindly advise that you actually repost your question on serializing and registering your 80% kits in our Legal Beagle forum’s question section-that’s the best place for it to get a good, sourced answer. As you’re unfortunately finding firearms laws in Mi are a murky myriad of contradictions and unintelligible references that only lead to more questions than answers at times. Hopefully someone there, we have real lawyers who try to answer these types of things here, as well as very well read and experienced firearms advocates of other professions who do a good job of giving credible info for exactly these types of things.

Having read what I have here and being guided by those aforementioned experts I will try to answer you the best I can, but as I said, repost there for the best answer.

Can you serialize a 80% pistol kit? Yes, and just pick something, there are other brands out there with overlapping SN in existence, you can’t be expected to know all of the firearm SN’s on earth and only pick from what isn’t already used.

Can/should you register (fill out and turn in an RI-10 or 60) a 80% pistol kit you build for personal use? No, you can’t and should not. It’s illegal. It’s not a registration, it’s a sales transaction record. Building a kit for your use involves no sale and no transaction took place. Once they’re passed down to your relatives as you mentioned a form would be necessary then for the transaction at that time, but not before.

I can’t speak to what you allude to in June with them and your reference to having them registered prior to.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the detailed reply, is appreciated. I had planned on posting in the legal section as well, figured this would be a good place to start and learn the workings of the site. Was going to share links too info regarding the June changes thing I was referring to, but I need more posts before the training wheels come off. You could try to Google,

The truth about guns federal register schedule for atfs firearm seilencer and pistol brace final regulations

Also
    atf.gov rules and regulations definition frame or receiver summary

I realize this is a state vs federal thing, as if more complexity will help matters. Anyway, thanks again!

I am a Forum User
    Thanks neighbor, seems like this winter may finally be coming to an end! Have a good one.

I am a Forum User
    I guess what sticks in my mind is that I read somewhere that all pistols need to be registered (I realize it's not an actual registration) in Michigan. Trying to avoid gulping down this muddy water while keeping my head above, and staying afloat. I posted in the legal section, I'll give it a few days, seems like lots of helpful folks and info here(almost to much info-such is the internet's). Thanks again for your help, have a good evening.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan10 View Post
    I guess what sticks in my mind is that I read somewhere that all pistols need to be registered (I realize it's not an actual registration) in Michigan. Trying to avoid gulping down this muddy water while keeping my head above, and staying afloat. I posted in the legal section, I'll give it a few days, seems like lots of helpful folks and info here(almost to much info-such is the internet's). Thanks again for your help, have a good evening.
    I just replied over there.

I am a Forum User
    Attempting to get the chains off so that I can share links.

I am a Forum User
    Forgive me if-

I am a Forum User
    I'm wasting space or-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast