Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Model 10 sticky cylinder

I have an early model 10 that was my great grandfather’s carry gun. Overall very clean and straight gun. It has been apart as there’s evidence of tool marks on the trigger guard screw, but he had the barrel cut down at some point in time (looks to be a high quality job). I just received it after my grandfathers passing, whom kept it in a sock drawer since my great grandfathers death.

After handling it, I’ve noticed the cylinder likes to stick closed. When locked in place, it’s free, tight, and smooth like a new smith, but upon opening it feels like it has to overcome a strong detent. I found the cause, but don’t understand the root issue. The gas ring is contacting the underside of the forcing cone/ barrel while in transit. No contact when locked. Looking closer, I’ve determined the extractor rod and center rod are true, as there’s no wobble to the cylinder. I’ve also determined that the crane isn’t bent, as the crane mates with the frame so cleanly the seam about disappears when closed, and the cylinder sits square within the frame. The barrel was reinserted straight and pinned.

The gas ring appears to be tapered, and the highest point on its rear is contacting the barrel when closed.

What would be a possible root cause of this? Aftermarket gas ring that’s slightly oversized?

I’d like to take care of the issue, but don’t want to be too invasive as the blue on the gun is still very good for a 61 year old gun.

Gas ring (bottom) contacting barrel (top) looking from left side of gun.

Blue worn off barrel on area of contact.

Hard to tell from the pic's, but it almost seems like the crane may be slightly bent/misaligned. This can happen if someone 'snaps' the cylinder closed by flicking the wrist. You see it all the time in movies, but it can tweak the crane assembly badly.

Just one possibility to look into.

Easily corrected by a competent gunsmith, or a DiY'er with some knowhow and alignment gauge pins.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Hard to tell from the pic's, but it almost seems like the crane may be slightly bent/misaligned. This can happen if someone 'snaps' the cylinder closed by flicking the wrist. You see it all the time in movies, but it can tweak the crane assembly badly.

Just one possibility to look into.

Easily corrected by a competent gunsmith, or a DiY'er with some knowhow and alignment gauge pins.

I’m not entirely convinced it’s a tweaked crane though, since the fit between frame and crane is so tight and precise the seam disappears to the eye and skin when felt. Cylinder gap is tight and square too. It may very well be though, since the tolerances are so tight on this early 10 that any shift in metal might disrupt fit.

I am not familiar with tapered gas rings though. All the new production and NOS parts look to be a single flat cylindrical bushing. As does my later 66-1….but that gun is a decade more recent. This one appears to have a pronounced taper and a groove cut in it. I’m not sure if that’s how these 1960 smiths were, or if the gunsmith that cut the barrel compressed it somehow.

I wouldn’t be opposed to changing and fitting a new gas ring, which I can do myself, I just really want to find the root cause instead of just band-aid fixing, and avoid having to remove metal or blue.

My 66-1 did have a stretched frame when I got it, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that this 10 has a tweak in it somewhere.