Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Marketplace Moderator

Glass bedding a rifle

I want my Mauser Gewer98 30-06 custom rifle stock glass bedded. I watched a few YouTube videos. Has anybody here done this to a Mauser action? I would like to do the work myself. But I also do not want the permanently epoxy the rifle together. Any tips? What kit to use? Thanks in advance, MOOSE

Brownell's Acra-Glass kits are the best way to go, in my opinion. I've done a lot of actions over the years, never had a problem.

Work slow, work carefully, follow the directions exactly, and use a LOT of release compound! The first time is a nerve wracker, but after you do it you will be pleased, and confident.
    Plenty of tape and/or clay where you DON'T want compound to creep; you'll be fine.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Release agent! Some apply Pam cooking spray, I’ve always used the brush on stuff that comes with Accra-Gel. Whatever be sure to get everything covered plus.
    Follow the instructions and it’s a snap. Be sure to place the action straight down in the stock into the compound and rough up the stock a little where you apply the gel to help it adhere. Be sure to run a strip of tape to the top surface of the stock to keep any surplus epoxy from sticking to the wood. It sounds a lot more difficult then it is.
    Be sure to allow time to set before removing the action from the stock. The 1st time you remove it it likely will be necessary to rap the bottom of the barrel a few times to break the action free do to the form fit of the bedding. Don’t worry you didn’t glue it in, it’s normal. I have had to take a rubber mallet to one to free it. The gel as rifleguy suggests is the way to go. It’s thick and stays in place without running making the job much easier and less messy then some it also can be found with a dye that can be used in the mix to get a color that doesn’t stand out for the stock wood if you wish.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I havent dont it but I ran out of safe space, and slowing moding a bunch of stuff and this is on the easier side of DIY that you can reasonably expect to do almost as well as a pro.

I am going to do a couple 22 's this summer when I am bored or have no projects with the house or truck. Its next in line. Watch brownells videos, and follow directions its not the old world art that some other aspects of smithing are.

I am a Forum User
    Accraglass GELL is a lot less messy then accraglass. After it cures place the rifle in the freezer over night. Constrict the steal and helps to separate it from the stock