Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Anodizing options

Looking for a refinisher in SE Michigan who can anodize a completed 80 frame. Presuming since its a finished 80 frame, this shop would have to be a ffl?
    Last edited by doctorj77; 04-01-2022 at 08:46 AM.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj77 View Post
    Looking for a refinisher in SE Michigan who can anodize a completed 80 frame. Presuming since its a finished 80 frame, this shop would have to be a ffl?
    In all likelihood it should be licensed for the work, yes. They may not have to be if it’s done there in your presence as you wait-but that’s on them if they want to. No suggestion on a vendor for you though, sorry.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member
    FFL yes, in theory.
    The problem is going to be to find an anodizer that will work with a quantity of 1. I'd guess if you do you'll probably hit the minimum charge probably around $300+.
    Then do you want MIL Spec hardcoat Type 3 or the traditional Type 2. Most likely you'll have to accommodate the additional thickness of the Type 3 in your fitting, not so much with Type 2.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
    By the way, refinishing anodize is another whole rat's nest of problems.
    Jim

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    FFL yes, in theory.
    The problem is going to be to find an anodizer that will work with a quantity of 1. I'd guess if you do you'll probably hit the minimum charge probably around $300+.
    Then do you want MIL Spec hardcoat Type 3 or the traditional Type 2. Most likely you'll have to accommodate the additional thickness of the Type 3 in your fitting, not so much with Type 2.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
    By the way, refinishing anodize is another whole rat's nest of problems.
    Jim
    Agreed, many other coatings out there better suited for a firearm/lower than anodizing IMHO.

Cerakote would be one I’d look very closely at first. Much more firearms friendly, much more common and much cheaper, and with vendors in the business.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    As I add this up in my head, thinking more & more Cerakote is probably where I'll go

Brown Bear Arms is just down the road from me

This company just opened in Battle Creek a few years ago. I'm so happy because I had to mow that 40 acre lot!! lol

https://bowersaluminumco.com/
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    Bowers is an excellent anodizing company, probably one of the best. I was taking all of my manufacturing business to them until they changed their business model and I was too small of a customer.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Bowers is an excellent anodizing company, probably one of the best. I was taking all of my manufacturing business to them until they changed their business model and I was too small of a customer.

Jim
    Good to hear they are a quality business, don't sound like they will be able to help the OP. They build a building, than a year later expanded at least 3X the size!
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Duracoat has some super tough finishes that resemble Anodizing. Look em up