Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

crossbreed belt from june of 2019 cracking pretty bad.

I bought a crossbreed brown carry belt in june of 2019, it started surface cracking last fall. Its pretty bad right now, and I have used the leather honey product often, I woud say every three months or so (top rated on amazon and many leather guys recommend it).

The belt felt well made for the price, but there was some weird surface wrinkling from the start. I managed to wear throw the threads almost bare on the inside on my left hip. Just not impressed. I am not working on a boat, or oi rig or something crazy.

There is crackling around the belt holes, I just do not think it had much time left.

Ill probably try a hanks belt next time.

If you removed carrying, I have had belted from jc penney, sears etc from lee, levis, etc last much much longer. I had belt from the mall store "structure" that lasted almost all of college, then bought another one the same after I busted the buckle, that last 5 years daily use. I still have it, its 17 years old, its not cracked.

So just not very impressed.

MGO Member
    I have a belt from blade tec. It has the kydex interior sandwiched between to layers of leather. I have worn it daily with and without carrying for 10+ years now without issue. Just throwing that out there in case you're looking for a new belt.

My crossbreed belt from probably same time frame is also not holding up super well, either. It was my daily belt, but a few months ago now I switched to a NexBelt just because it was looking a little rough.

While I don’t have that particular belt, I’m pretty anal about leather care since I prefer to wear expensive western boots and fancy belts. I use Bick 4 monthly on just about every leather I have, and use it soon after getting leather wet. I ordered two mid range leather dress belts that showed up on the dry side, with slight surface wrinkles showing. I put a disgusting amount of Bick 4 on them and let them soak it in for about 10 minutes before rubbing them dry. Did this for a few days in a row, and continued to do it about once a month. They’re holding up well so far.

Bick 4 has done miracles for me. I have old work boots that had been sitting in my garage for years that were brought back to life by using it. If you’re very liberal in its application and set time, the leather eats it right up and rehydrates well.

I first found the stuff at a tack shop. It’s made for saddles, but does a great job on everything, I even use it in my Jeep. If you want to buy local, Scott Colburn in Livonia (a western wear store) has a rack of it. Amazon has it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    While I don’t have that particular belt, I’m pretty anal about leather care since I prefer to wear expensive western boots and fancy belts. I use Bick 4 monthly on just about every leather I have, and use it soon after getting leather wet. I ordered two mid range leather dress belts that showed up on the dry side, with slight surface wrinkles showing. I put a disgusting amount of Bick 4 on them and let them soak it in for about 10 minutes before rubbing them dry. Did this for a few days in a row, and continued to do it about once a month. They’re holding up well so far.

Bick 4 has done miracles for me. I have old work boots that had been sitting in my garage for years that were brought back to life by using it. If you’re very liberal in its application and set time, the leather eats it right up and rehydrates well.

I first found the stuff at a tack shop. It’s made for saddles, but does a great job on everything, I even use it in my Jeep. If you want to buy local, Scott Colburn in Livonia (a western wear store) has a rack of it. Amazon has it too.
    ok, ill order some, I ordered two belts at the same time, I am starting on the second belt now, only going to wear the cracking one (cracking on the inside) at work. I saw a few people suggest mink oil which I had laying around so I put some on.

When I used the leather honey, i didnt even wipe it off, I would do to my spare bathroom, put a line down the entire belt, worked it in with a finger and let it puddle and soak in for days. Then flipped it over. I thin I went decently heavy. The honey is not cheap, I can buy a new belt every couple years for the price of the oil if I do crossbreed seconds which are about half off.

If I could buy Bick 4 by the gallon I would. I go through the pint sized bottles quick since I use it on my western boots, belts, jeep, and some holsters often. I think Scott Colburn sells it for $2/ bottle more than Amazon, but I like supporting their business. It’s the best leather care product I’ve ever used. The only warning they give with it is to not use it on distressed leather or suede. My nice Tony Lama boots are distressed, and I still use it on them. It noticeably darkens the leather, but I don’t mind the look when it’s hydrated with it.

You can see a difference in color from the bottom of the boot to the top on the distressed area (the pale greenish leather). It almost gives it a brown look. But this only happens on leather with a lot of exposed fiber. The finished leather of the Ariats and Cayman boots don’t get any kind of color shift. The softer leather just becomes “wet”. Bick 4 has a milky white color, with the consistency somewhere between a cream and a gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    If I could buy Bick 4 by the gallon I would. I go through the pint sized bottles quick since I use it on my western boots, belts, jeep, and some holsters often. I think Scott Colburn sells it for $2/ bottle more than Amazon, but I like supporting their business. It’s the best leather care product I’ve ever used. The only warning they give with it is to not use it on distressed leather or suede. My nice Tony Lama boots are distressed, and I still use it on them. It noticeably darkens the leather, but I don’t mind the look when it’s hydrated with it.

You can see a difference in color from the bottom of the boot to the top on the distressed area (the pale greenish leather). It almost gives it a brown look. But this only happens on leather with a lot of exposed fiber. The finished leather of the Ariats and Cayman boots don’t get any kind of color shift. The softer leather just becomes “wet”. Bick 4 has a milky white color, with the consistency somewhere between a cream and a gel.

I am not really very fussy about color, I do not have anything so fancy, or I am just too regular, simple plain I would not even care. Ill order some up on next amazon order, I still have half a bottle of honey and mink oil, maybe some other stuff. Ill just be sure since I guess I already bought this stuff, go heavy on the use. I thought I was doing well not even wiping it, just letting it soak.

Maybe it expected too much, but like I said, I had department store belts, mall belts that never cracked like this.

Speaking of longevity for belts I bought a Desantis leather belt at a gun show when it was at the Pontiac Silverdome and that was a few years before they stopped having it there, I still wear it today with my gun, the only wear is at the buckle, the only other belts I have that are as nice are two no name brand that were Amish made.
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Sorry crossbreed I did away with! I went to kore 3 years ago and still have both belts no cracks. Best in the game if you ask me. Hanks is ok and I also like maybe one or two others but hands down Kore

I am a Forum User
    I have a a crossbreed belt from about a year ago that has already started to sag really bad. I just recently replaced it with a Hank's. Hopefully theirs last longer.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast