Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Mossberg 500 issues

Hello all. Not sure if this is the right location for this thread or not. But if it isn't sorry in advance.

I have a Mossberg 500 12Ga that I'm having an issue with. When I put any shells in the mag tube and I rack the slide back back i can't pull another shell from the tube. When looking at the gun from the bottom side it looks like the right shell stop arm is preventing the next shell from coming out of the tube.

Not sure if I just need to bend the tip of the shell stop out so it sits more flush or not.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Timmy; 04-08-2022 at 03:53 PM. Reason: trying to add a picyture

Marketplace Moderator
    You are in the correct spot. But I am not familiar with the 500. Good Luck, MOOSE

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Hello all. Not sure if this is the right location for this thread or not. But if it isn't sorry in advance.

I have a Mossberg 500 12Ga that I'm having an issue with. When I put any shells in the mag tube and I rack the slide back back i can't pull another shell from the tube. When looking at the gun from the bottom side it looks like the right shell stop arm is preventing the next shell from coming out of the tube.

Not sure if I just need to bend the tip of the shell stop out so it sits more flush or not.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
    Hey Sir,

I know it's a bit of a distance, but if you want to stop by Palais du RifleGuy one day we can strip it down and see what you need. I've been shooting and tinkering with Mossberg 500s for about 45 years now. They are a familiar old friend.

I'm in Dearborn Heights... I-94-Telegraph area.

By any chance did this start AFTER a field strip/clean? No insult meant, but this can be the source of a lot of problems. Mistakes happen sometimes... the reason on my job we usually have a second set of eyes look over complex repairs before we button things up.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

What are you trying to get it to do?

The shell stop arm only retracts when the pump slide is fully to the rear, triggered in the last1/8" of slide travel. But at that point the shell lift arm fully blocks the loading port.

If you are trying to unload, there is a different way.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    No, it just started doing. I may only have 8 rounds through the gun.
    If i could post a picture it really looks like the arm is just bent out too far.
    Last edited by Timmy; 04-08-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added information

I am a Forum User
    Trying to get another shell in the chamber. But then also to unload the gun.

New gun... ah.

Do NOT bend anything!

Clean and lube it good, then cycle the action forcefully. I think you just need a little more reward travel on the slide... don't be gentle. I had a new 500 that had to be yanked back pretty solidly the first couple hundred rounds.

Verify the gun is empty, work the action a lot. It will 'loosen up' I suspect. But be sure to slam the slide back all the way.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    New gun... ah.

Do NOT bend anything!

Clean and lube it good, then cycle the action forcefully. I think you just need a little more reward travel on the slide... don't be gentle. I had a new 500 that had to be yanked back pretty solidly the first couple hundred rounds.

Verify the gun is empty, work the action a lot. It will 'loosen up' I suspect. But be sure to slam the slide back all the way.
    Agreed. I've been around 870/500 and in this case sounds like to be the case. Sounds like it needs to be shot a whole lot more.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for all the help. I'll try working the pump action more to see if this fixes the issue.