Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with a spotter

I’m in the market for a spotting scope and need some help making my mind up between these two, hopefully from users with real world experience. HP, BR or F class guys I know have thoughts here.

https://www.leupold.com/sx-4-pro-gui...spotting-scope

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vipe...-straight.html

My main plan for this scope is finding small caliber holes at 200/300 yards on paper, not marking hits on steel or the possible peek at a deer across a 40 acre field.
    I’m pretty sure from past experience both will do the job on a sunny day, but how about a dark cloudy one?
    I am pretty sure both will run me about the same price within ~$100 or less with my discounts so that’s a ways down the list on the pro/con, and warranty is the same.
    Both are offered in slightly smaller versions 15x45x65, that would save me a couple bucks if one would do the job so that’s another option. I have a old 15x45x60 Burris that allows me to see 22 cal holes @200 with good lighting and minimal mirage but is dark on higher power and looses resolution on the top end too. A hole in the black disappears under most conditions and is frustrating after while. I’m hopeful that the newer glass coatings and designs will have corrected some of this.
    I’ve looked through a few scopes and spotters in shops both out the windows and handheld out the doorway but I’m not steady enough to judge the avg binoculars let alone a spotter this way. Windows screw with what I see when peering out them and don’t show real world clarity IMO so resting on a counter does not help. For some reason gun shops don’t trust me taking a $1000 glass to a farm field to check it out on birds and tree lines. Don’t know why…

Thanks for any help.

I know there are lots of great scopes out there, Kowa, Meopta as examples but I’m set on one of these so don’t bother telling me how great a Swarovski is or what your Zeus’s is like. I am sure they are nice, but I’m stretching the budget with these two and I’m pretty sure one of them will do what I want
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Come on guys, 3 days and almost 50 views and no one has an experience with either of these or has any thoughts based on similar scopes others you know use? No pro or cons on either one?
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I've not had the pleaser to use the Vortex model but did look at one in Cabela's. It should serve your purpose...
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    Here's another vote for Cabela's

I am a Forum User
    Hey Ol Joe:

I compete in long range high power rifle and benchrest rimfire and have a Athelon Cronus 20x80x80 spotter. Got it a couple years ago from cameraland ny.

When I was in the market I would examine quite a number of high quality spotters, Swarovski, Kowa, Pentax (with the 1.25 eyepieces), leica, zeiss, etc. I used to drool over them while I struggled with my cheap Konus and was dissatisfied. Basically the same boat as you are in now.

Then a fellow competitor showed up with the Athlon Cronus and I looked through that one. It really impressed me so much that I went out and bought one for about $600.00.

Since my purchase I have set it up side by side with numerous scopes and I am still impressed with the brilliance and clarity of this spotter. I do not lust over the Pentax with the $2,500 eyepiece any more or the Kowa's. It really is that good.

Unfortunately, this particular model is not available from Athlon any more but I am sure you could find it out there someplace.

Anyways, not sure where you are located but I am in Pinckney, Michigan. If you are interested in checking it out (not for sale) I would be happy to meet you and you could see if it measures up to your expectations. Shoot me a pm and we could meet at a local range or so.

Here is one place that has it for sale (at a considerably higher price then I paid for it):

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/athlo...-60x86-ed.html

Regards,
    crankster
    Last edited by crankythunder; 04-13-2022 at 07:33 AM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer

I don’t have experience with either of the listed spotting scope but I can tell anyone here that as the owner of a “bargain” spotting scope, buy a decent one... the ol’ saying, buy once, cry once is ever more important with optics.

I am a Forum User
    I personally use a Kowa.

I've looked through a friend's similar Leupold and was happy with what I saw. No experience with the Vortex model but I tend to like their rifle scopes.

You might check out the Athlon variety too. A respected friend says they are the whip for the price point.

MGO Member
    I have a Viper HD 20-60 similar to the included link. Nice piece, good glass for the money.
    Seeing little holes is always a problem.
    Jim

Get one that is easily setup with your phone or a go pro looking through the lense. It is worth the hassle to see the recorded results.

I am a Forum User
    I'm a fan of Leupold's glass more than I am Vortex. I think it's cleaner and less milky at distance. I feel like their coatings are just a bit nicer, and they start with cleaner glass. Yes, Vortex makes a great product, has a great warranty but if those are my two choices I'm picking Leupold. Albeit may be the fanboi in me.
    While I don't have hands on experience with that specific SX4 spotter, I do own the Mark 4 with the Mil Dot reticle. You're welcome to take a peek though it next time I'm up that way.
    https://www.leupold.com/mark-4-12-40...spotting-scope

I've peeked through the Vortex at the range with other guys who own them, (they're very popular, much like the Leupold's, and for good reason) looking at paper targets at closer ranges, and steel out in the 1200yd range. And again, great optic, nothing wrong with it. I have not looked at them side by side or compared in the same conditions one next to the other.

Don't know if that helps, but some add'l food for thought.
    Again, look me up if you want to tinker with the Mark 4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast